Geoffrey W. Bergman, M.B., B.S.
My professional focus is equally directed on the direct care of patients intimately combined with teaching Fellows diagnostic and interventional therapeutic cardiac procedures in the catheterization laboratory. I consider it a significant privilege to work side by side with so many other experts in the provision of excellent health care. In particular Faculty status at Cornell provides me with the time and opportunity to practice the discipline of cardiac catheterization in the most professional manner. I greatly enjoy the responsibility of teaching Fellows the skills and importance of the catheterization laboratory. Combining this with an interest in clinically based outcomes type research completes my busy schedule.
A summary of Dr. Bergman's Education, Training and/or Faculty Appointments is listed as following:
1971 B.Sc. - London Univervisty - London, UK
1974 M.B., B.S. - Guys Hospital Medical School - London, England
1975 Internship, General Surgery & Internal Medicine - Guys Hospital Medical School - London, England
1976 Residency, General Medicine - Guys Hospital - London, England
1979 Fellowship, Cardiology - Kings College Hospital - London, England
1977 Residency, Cardiology - National Heart Hospital - London, England
1986 Fellowship, Interventional Cardiology - Ochsner Clinic - New Orleans, LA
1989 Assistant Professor/Attending - The New York Hospital Cornell Medical College
1995 Associate Professor/Attending - The New York Hospital Cornell Medical College
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. G. Bergman, L. Atkinson, J. Metcalfe, N. Jackson, DE Jewitt. Beneficial Effects of enchanced myocardial carbohydrate utilisation after Oxfenicine (I- Hydroxyphenylglycine) in Angina Pectoris. European Heart Journal 1980; 1: 247-253.
2. G. Bergman, K. Daly, MT Rothman, L. Atkinson, PJ Richardson, G. Jackson, DE Jewitt. Prostacyclin: Haemodynamic and Metabolic Effects in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease. Lancet 1981; 1: 596-572.
3. G. Bergman, M. Monaghan,K. Daly, DE Jewitt. Right Atrial Embolus: The Echocardiographic Features.. British Heart Journal 1985: 53; 552-5.
4. A. Timmis, G. Bergman, L. Atkinson, M. Monaghan, DE Jewitt. The Potential Value of Oral Beta-2 Adrenoceptor Angonists in Congestive Heart Failure: A Haemodynamic and Metabolic Study. Internat J Card. 1984: 5; 327-328.
5. PS Kiff, G. Bergman, L. Atkinson, J. Westwick, VV Kakkar, DE Jewitt. Haemodynamic and Metabolic Effects of Dazoxiben at Rest and During Atrial Pacing. B J Pharmacol 1983: 15; 73-77.
6. J. Kenny, K. Daly, G. Bergman, S. Kerkez, DE Jewitt. Beneficial Effects of Diltiazem in Coronary Artery Disease.. British Heart Journal 1984: 52; 53-57.
7. K. Daly, G. Bergman, MT Rothman, L. Atkinson, G. Jackson, DE Jewitt Beneficial Effect of Adding Nifedipine to Beta Adrenergic Blocking Therapy in Angina Pectoris. European Heart Journal 1982: 3; 42-47.
8. G. Bergman, DE Jewitt. Myocardial Metabolic Alterations after Contrast Angiography. Am J Cardiol. 1983: 52; 1152 (Letter).
9. J. Kenny, K. Daly, G. Bergman, S. Kerkez, DE Jewitt. Beneficial Effect of Diltiazem combined with Beta Blockade in Angina Pectoris. European Heart Journal 1985:6; 418- 23.
10. JW Upward, K. Daly, S. Campbell, G. Bergman, DE Jewitt. The Electrophysiological, Haemodynamic and Metabolic Effects of Intravenous Bepridil Hydrochloride. Am J Cardiol.1985: 55; 1598-95.
11. K. Daly, G Bergman, L. Atkinson, S. Kerkez, DE Jewitt. Effect of Timolol Maleate on Pacing Included Angina. Br. Heart J 1985: 52; 628-633.
12. Acute and Chronic Haemodynamioc Effects of Prazosin in Heart Failure. DE Jewitt, N. Jackson, G. Bergman. Per Lund-Johansen, DT Mason Eds. Proceedings of Recent Advances in Hypertension and Congestive Heart Failure-Prazosin. Princeton. Excerpta Medica. 1978: 95-107.
13. Assessment of Thallium 201 Scintigraphy in Patients with Arteriographically Normal Coronary Arteries; A Correlation with Response to Ergonovine Provocation. PJ Richardson, MT Rothman, G. Bergman, L. Atkinson, C. Wade, DE Jewitt. In Coronary Arterial Spasm. Ed. ME Betrand, Lab. Dousse, Paris 1981.
14. Lactate Metabolism before and after Atrial Pacing; Cardiac Enzyme Activities in Left Ventricular Endomyocardial Biopsy Specimens and Coronary Angiography before and after Ergonovine Administration. A correlative study in patients with Angiographically Normal Coronary Arteries. MT Rothman, G. Bergman, L. Atkinson, PJ Richardson, DE Jewitt. In Coronary Arterial Spasm. Ed. ME Betrand. Lab. Dousse, Paris 1981.
15. The Role of Prostaglandins in Ischaemic Heart Disease. G. Bergman, P. Kiff, DE Jewitt. Proceedings of Symposium on Coronary Heart Disease. Athens. Sept. 1981.
16. PM. Okin, G Bergman, P Kligfield. Effect of ST Segment Measurement Point on Performance of Standard and Heart rate-Adjusted ST Segment Criteria for the Identification of Coronary Artery Disease. Circ. 1992. 84;47-76.
17. PM Okin, G Bergman, P Kligfield. Heart Rate Adjustment of the Time-Voltage ST Segment Intergral: Identification of Coronary Artery Disease and Relationship to Standard and Heart Rate Adjusted ST Segment Depression Criteria. J Am Coll Card. 1992:18;1487-92.
18. PM Okin, GBergman, P Kligfield. Measurement Parameters for Optimal Performance of the ST Segment Integral. Circ. 1992:
19. Altmann DB, Racz M, Battleman DS, Bergman G, Spokojny A, Hannan EL, Sanborn TA. Reduction in complications after the introduction of coroanry stents: Results from a consecutive series of 2242 patients. Am Heart J 132(3):503-507,1996
20. Altmann DB, Zwas D, Spatz A, Bergman G, Spokojny A, Riva S, Sanborn TA. Use of contrast volume to estimated creatinine clearance ratio to predict renal failure after angiography. J Interven Card 10: 113-119, 1997.
21. McAffrey TA, Du B, Consigli S, Szabo P, Bray PJ, Hartner L, Wexler BB, Sanborn TA, Bergman G, Bush HL Jr. Genomic Instability in the type II TGF-beta 1 receptor Gene in Atherosclerotic and Restenotic Vascular Cells. J Clin Invest 100(9): 2182-8, 1997.
22. Shaknovich A, Forman ST, Parikh MA, Deutsch E, Bergman G, McAffrey TA, Newman GC, Tarazona N, Sanborn TA. Novel Distal Occluder-Wash Out Method for prevention of No-Reflow During Stenting of Saphenous Bypass Grafts. Cathet Cardiovas Interven 1999; 47(4), 397-403
23. Jauhar R, Bergman G, Savino S, Deutsch E, Shaknovich A, Parikh MA, Shannon T, McCrossan J, Undemir C, Sanborn TA. Effectiveness of Aspirin and Clopidogrel Combination therapy in Coronary Stenting. Am J Cardiol , 1999; 84(6) 726-8, A8
24. Rosengart T, Lee LY, Patel SR, Sanborn TA, Parikh M, Bergman G, Hachamovich R, Szulc M, Kligfield P, Okin PM, Hahn R, Devereux R, Post M, Hackett N, Foster MS, Grasso TM, Lesser ML, Isom OW, Crystal RG. Angiogenesis Gene Therapy: Phase 1 Assessment of Direct Intramyocardial Administration of an Adenovirus Vector Expressing the VEGF121 cDNA to Individuals with Clinically Significant Severe Coronary Artery Disease. Circulation 1999; 100(5) 468-74
25. Mueller RL; Bergman G. Images in Cardiovascular Medicine. Calcific aortic stenosis and associated Lev#146;s disease. Circulation 1995, 92(10) p3138
26. Wong SC, Sanborn T, Sleeper LA, WebbJG, Pilchik R, Hart D, Mejnartowicz S, Antonelli TA, Lange R, Freanch JK, Bergman G, Le Jemetel T, Hochman JS. Angiographic Findings and clinical correlates in patients with cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarction: a report from the SHOCK Trial Registry. SHould we emergently revascularize Occluded Coronaries for cardiogenic shock? J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36(3 suppl A)1077-83
27. Wang Y, Winchester PA, Yu L, Watts R, Ding G Lee HM, Bergman GW. Breath-hold three dimensional contrast-enhanced coronary MR angiography: motion matched k-space sampling for reducing motion effects. Radiology 2000; 215(2), 600-7.
28. Wang Y, Vidan E, Bergman GW. Cardiac motion of coronary arteries: variability in the rest period and implications for coronary MR angiography. Radiology 1999; 213(3), 751-8
29. Pickering TG, Isom OW, Bergman GW, Barbieri JM. Phaeochromocytoma of the heart. Am J Cardiol 2000; 86(11), 1288-9, A10
30. Wang Y, Watts R, Mitchell I, Nguyen TD, Bezanson JW, Bergman G, Prince MR. Coronary MR angiography: Selection of acquisition window of minimal cardiac motion with electrocardiography triggered navigator cardiac motion prescanning #150; initial results. Radiology 2001; 218(2), 580-5
31. Minutello RM, Hong MK, Parikh M, Bergman G, Iacovone F, Wong SC. Differences in Heparin Sensitivity Between Asians and Non-Asians. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39:49A
32. Minutello RM, Chou E, Hong MK, Bergman G, Parikh M, Wong SC. Incidence and Clinical Factors Associated With Access Site Injury Following Percutaneous Coronary Interventions: A Report From The 1995 New York State Angioplasty Registry Database. CCI 2002;56 (1);113 (ISSN: 1522-1946) 33. Webb JG, Lowe AM, Sanborn T, White HD, Sleeper LA, Carere RG, Buller CE, Wong SC , Boland J, Dzavik V, Porway M, Pate G, Bergman G, Hochman JS. Percutaneous coronary intervention for cardiogenic shock in the SHOCK trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003; 42(8)1380-6.
33. Sanborn TA, Sleeper LA, Webb JG, French JK, Bergman G, Parikh M, Wong SC, Boland J, Pfisterer M, Slater JN, Sharma S, Hochman JS. Correlates of one year survival in patients with cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarction: angiographic findings from the SHOCK trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003, 42(8), 1373-9
34. Minutello RM, Chou ET, Hong MK, Bergman G, Parikh M, Iacovone F, Wong SC. Impact of Body Mass Index on In-Hospital Outcomes following Percutaneous Interevention. Report from New York State Angioplasty Registry. Am J Cardiol. 2004, 93, 1229-32
35. Chou ET, Minutello RM, Parikh M, Bergman G, Wong SC, Hong MK. Can we identify vulnerable patients at risk for ST-elevation myocardial infarction based on their clinical characteristics? Coron Art Dis 2004, 15(8), 467 #150;9
36. Khurram Z, Chou E, Minutello R, Bergman G, Parikh M, Naidu S, Wong SC, Hong MK. Combination therapy with aspirin, clopidogrel and warfarin following coronary stenting is associated with a significant risk of bleeding.J Invasive Cardiol. 2006 Apr;18(4):162-4.
37. Gade CL, Bergman G, Naidu S, Weinsaft JW, Callister TQ, Min JK. Comprehensive evaluation of atrial septal defects in individuals undergoing percutaneous repair by 64-detector row computed tomography.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2006 Sep 23;
38. Feldman DN, Gade CL, Slotwiner AJ, Parikh M, Bergman G, Wong SC, Minutello RM; New York State Angioplasty Registry. Comparison of outcomes of percutaneous coronary interventions in patients of three age groups (<60, 60 to 80, and >80 years) (from the New York State Angioplasty Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2006 Nov 15;98(10):1334-9
Honors and Awards
Confined War Memorial Scholarship.Guys Hospital.- 1969
British-American Heart Foundation Fellowship.- 1986
- Interventional Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Internal Medicine
- B.S., London University (United Kingdom), 1971
- M.B.,B.S., King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London (United Kingdom), 1974