George Shih, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- Abdominal Imaging
- Body Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Body MRI
- MRI of the Abdomen
- MRI of the Pelvis
- MRI Liver
- CT Scan of the Abdomen
- CT Scan of the Body
- CT Scan of the Pelvis
- PET Scan
- Positron Emission Tomography
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Pelvic Ultrasound
- Vascular Ultrasound
George Shih, M.D. is Associate Professor and Vice-Chair for Informatics in the Department of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Associate Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus. He received his B.S. degree in Computer Science from Duke University in 1994. He earned a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Electrical Engineering in January 1997 from Duke University School of Engineering and a Diplome d’Ingenieur, Electrical Engineering from the Ecole Nationale Superieure de Telecommunications in Paris, France in January 1997 (dual degree).
Dr. Shih remained at Duke, earning his M.D. in May 2000 from the Duke University School of Medicine. After completing his internship year in the Department of Medicine at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY in 2000-2001, Dr. Shih completed his radiology residency training (2001-2005) in Diagnostic Radiology at Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY. Dr. Shih was awarded the Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award (2003) and the Columbia University Housestaff Research Scholarship (2003). Dr. Shih remained at Columbia’s Department of Radiology for an MRI Fellowship (2005-2006) with emphasis on Musculoskeletal, Body, Cardiac MRI and Peripheral MRA.
Dr. Shih achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology from the American Board of Radiology in 2005.
In July 2006, Dr. Shih was recruited to Weill Cornell’s Department of Radiology as an Assistant Professor and as Assistant Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus.
As a member of the Abdominal Imaging Division in Weill Cornell's Department of Radiology, Dr. Shih performs a wide variety of studies in X-ray, CT, MRI and Ultrasound.
His research interest in medical informatics include machine learning, natural language processing, 3D printing, and mobile health.
- American Board of Radiology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Radiology - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Duke University School of Medicine, 2000
- M.S., Duke University, 1997
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.