Gary Joseph Lelli, M.D.
156 William Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10038
P: (646) 962-2020 | F: (646) 962-0604
1305 York Avenue, 11th and 12th Floor
New York, NY 10021
P: (646) 962-2020 | F: (646) 962-0604
While medical education and research are very rewarding, my primary focus is to provide thoughtful and compassionate individualized care. I pride myself on being approachable and caring, and do my best to provide understandable explanations to my patients. The patient and physician are a team - working together towards a common goal.
I believe in sub-specialized medical care, and for that reason, confine my practice to the eyelids, orbit and lacrimal system. Conditions commonly treated include:
- Eyelid malposition (i.e. entropion, ectropion, retraction)
- Benign and malignant eyelid tumors
- Periocular skin lesions and chalazia (styes)
- Eyelid reconstruction
- Ptosis (drooping eyelids) and dermatochalasis (excess eyelid skin)
- Periocular rejuvenation (botox, fillers, aesthetic eyelid surgery)
- Orbital tumors and inflammatory syndromes
- Thyroid (Graves) Eye Disease
- Eyelid, orbital and lacrimal system trauma
- Tearing secondary to nasolacrimal duct obstruction, punctal stenosis and eyelid malposition
I look forward to meeting you and working together.
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Eyelid Lesion
- Tear Duct Probing
- Eyelid Surgery
- Cosmetic Eye Surgery
- Orbital Tumor
- Ptosis of Eyelid
- Clinical Research
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 2002
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1997
Honors and Awards
● Harold Elster Memorial Prize for the highest academic standing of medical school class of 2002
● Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
● John A. Hartford #150; American Federation for Aging Research Geriatric Research Scholar
● The James M. La Berge Award for research by a first-year ophthalmology resident
● The Walker R. Parker Resident Teaching Award for excellence in medical student education (2005, 2006)
● Ambulatory Care Excellence Award (2005), annual award to one resident at University of Michigan Hospitals for patient care and professionalism
● New York City Police Department Award of Appreciation (2009)
Associate Attending Ophthalmologist
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Gary J. Lelli, Jr., M.D., an associate attending ophthalmologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center discusses why he chose to specialize in oculoplastic surgery.
Dr. Lelli is a board-certified ophthalmologist who specializes in oculoplastic surgery - a speciality requiring two years of additional training after ophthalmology residency focused solely on plastic and reconstructive surgery of eyelids, orbit and lacrimal system. During this training, accredited by the prestigious American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS), Dr. Lelli gained broad clinical and surgical experience while treating patients at Columbia University Medical Center, Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York University Hospital, Bellevue Medical Center and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Dr. Lelli graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He proceeded to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, where he was selected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society and graduated with the highest academic standing in his class. After completing a transitional internship at Saint Vincent's Catholic Medical Center in Manhattan, he returned to Ann Arbor for his ophthalmology residency at the University of Michigan Medical Center, W.K. Kellogg Eye Center. During his final year, he served as Chief Resident and received the Ambulatory Care Excellence in Service Award for demonstration of integrity, professionalism and exceptional patient care.
Dr. Lelli is a dedicated educator. While at the University of Michigan, he was twice awarded the Walker R. Parker Resident Teaching Award. He has written numerous papers and textbook chapters and routinely presents at national meetings. Dr. Lelli is an active participant in global mission work and education. Most recently, he has volunteered in East Africa, teaching and performing surgeries, and annually travels to Eastern Europe for an educational mission sponsored by the Open Medical Institute and the American Austrian Foundation. Dr. Lelli has also recently diversified his work experience by joining the staff of the New York Rangers as the team's Ophthalmologist.
Dr. Lelli is an approachable and caring physician and teacher. He remains grounded in his focus to provide thoughtful and compassionate individualized care, focusing on effective and understandable communication, sound decision-making skills and operative excellence.
See Dr. Lelli's profile on RealSelf.