Specialties and Expertise
- Crohn's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Clinical Research
Ellen J. Scherl, M.D. is the Jill Roberts Professor of Inflammatory Bowel Disease at Weill Cornell Medicine. She is currently an Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Scherl is a world-renowned expert in Inflammatory Bowel Disease specializing in Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Dr. Scherl has an active practice and serves as a principal investigator on many clinical trials on Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. As part of Dr. Scherl's comprehensive approach to patient care, she closely collaborates with world renowned IBD surgical team lead by experts Dr. Fabrizio Michelassi and Dr. Jeffrey Milsom, complimented by Dr. Toyoki Sonoda. The team is known for innovative surgical approaches including laparoscopic and endoscopic techniques as well as bowel sparing surgeries. Dr. Oscar Lebwohl of The New York-Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus also works closely with Dr. Scherl in her efforts.
The Jill Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease is exploring ways of integrating healthcare and IBD research looking forward to achieving preventive and personalized medicine. The IBD Center is committed to the interdisciplinary approach to Inflammatory Bowel Disease focusing on nutrition, osteoporosis, nephrology, dysplasia, and colon cancer screening using novel techniques such as narrow band imaging. Dr. Scherl frequently lectures on Inflammatory Bowel Disease at local, regional and national meetings, conferences and seminars.
Dr. Scherl has an active practice and serves as a principal investigator on many clinical trials involving innovative and investigational therapies for Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease. She has established an IBD tissue bank at Weill Medical College of Cornell University/New York-Presbyterian Hospital, has collaborated with researchers at Cornell University to identify a novel E. Coli bacteria associated with Crohn's Disease and continues to collaborate with Weill Medical College of Cornell University/New York-Presbyterian Hospital researchers investigating the immunogenetics and pathobiology of IBD. As part of Dr. Scherl's comprehensive approach to patient care , she closely collaborates with Dr. Michelassi, Milsom and Sonoda, who are part of the internationally renowned and innovative IBD group of surgeons.
Dr. Scherl is an editorial reviewer for the IBD Journal, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Also, she is co-editing The Changing World Of IBD and co-authorizing a comprehensive IBD text-book. She is the author of numerous peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
She recently received the 2008 AGA award for Outstanding Women In Science and in 2007 was awarded the NYSGE Florence Lefcourt Distinguished Service Award.
Currently, Dr. Scherl is a fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP), the American College of Gastroenterologists (FACG), the American Society for Gastroenterologists (FASGE) and the New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (FNYSGE). She is also an American Gastroenterological Associate Fellow (AGAF) and a member of numerous professional societies.
Dr. Scherl is also a Board member and the Education Director for Women and IBD: WE CARE, The Chair for the Chapter Medical Advisory Committee for the CCFA and she also is on the Advisory Board for the GI Health Foundation, www.ibdcme.tv. She frequently lectures on Inflammatory Bowel Disease at local, regional, and national meetings, conferences and seminars. She is exploring ways of integrating healthcare and IBD research looking towards achieving preventive and personalized medicine.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America Woman of Distinction 1995
NYSGE Florence Lefcourt Distinguished Service Award January 2007
"Does the Degree of Endoscopic Severity in Patients with Crohn's Disease Correlate with Pathologic Findings on Mucosal Biopsy Specimens?" Mendelsohn, R.B., Bramlage, M., Makhoul, Y., Scherl, EJ, Yantiss, R., and Bosworth, B.P.
This was presented as a combination of the Division of the Roberts Center for IBD, the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center, the Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, and Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, New York. This received Honorable mention or poster of distinction by Weill Cornell Medical Center. May 2007
- Internal Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Jill Roberts Professor of Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Adjunct Professor of Clinical Medicine - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., New York Medical College, 1977
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - CHP
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care - PPO
- GHI - Pathway X
- Health First - Pathway X Enhanced
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - CBP
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicaid
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark - Liberty
- UHC Compass - Medicare Advantage
- United Empire - Metro/Core/Charter
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
- WellCare Health Plans - Medicare