Specialties and Expertise
- Molecular Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
Dr. Cesarman is trained in Anatomic Patology, nbsp;Hematopathology and Molecular Pathology. She serves as Assistant Director of the Molecular Hematopathology Laboratory of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weil Cornell Medical College. Dr. Cesarman's research focuses on malignancies associated with AIDS and other immunodeficiencies. Dr. Cesarman is Leader of the Pathology Core for the AIDS Malignancy Consortium and is involved in the diagnosis of these tumors in multiple national and international clinical trials.
Ongoing research in the Cesarman laboratory is aimed at characterizing the oncogenes encoded by KSHV and EBV, with the goal of dissecting the mechanism of transformation by these viruses and understanding their role in the development of malignant lymphoma or Kaposi's sarcoma. By characterizing the viral proteins that provide survival signals to the tumor cells, we are better understanding the role they play in carcinogenesis. The laboratory is currently developing inhibitors to these oncogenic viral proteins as a novel approach for the treatment of EBV- and KSHV-related malignancies.
MD-1981: Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico City, Mexico.
MS-1984: Department of Pathology, New York University, New York.
Ph.D.-1990: Department of Pathology, New York University, New York.
PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS HELD:
1998-1991: Anatomic Pathology Resident- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
1991-1992: Hematopathology Fellow- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
1992-1993: Instructor of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
1993-1994: Assistant Professor of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
1994-1999: Assistant Professor of Pathology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York.
1994-1999: Assistant Attending Pathologist, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York.
1999-2007: Associate Professor of Pathology (Tenured), Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York.
1999-Present: Associate Attending Pathologist, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York.
2007-Present: Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (Tenured), Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York.
PROFESSIONAL & LICENSURE:
1981: Licensed in Medicine, Mexico.
1982: ECFMG Certification.
1983: Federal Licensing Examination, Massachusetts.
1991: Medical License, New York State.
1991: Anatomic Pathology National Boards.
2007: Molecular Genetic Pathology National Boards
1. American Society for Clinical Investigation
2. The American Society of Hematology
3. Association for Molecular Pathology
4. American Society for Microbiology
5. Henry Kunkel Society
6. American Association for Cancer Research
6. National Institutes of Health- Office of AIDS Research Grant study section AARR-4 on AIDS Malignancies and Opportunistic Infections (1999-2004)
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 1995 Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists Award for outstanding publication by yourn investigator in the field of surgical pathology by an investigator under the age of 40.
- 2001-2006 Irma T Hirschl/Monique Weill- Caulier Career Scientist Award.
- 2001 Member American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- 2006 Member Henry Kunkel Society
- 2011-2013 Chair, General Faculty Council, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Anatomic Pathology
- Molecular Genetic Pathology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Attending Pathologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- Ph.D., New York University, 1988
- M.S., New York University, 1984
- M.D., Autonomous Metropolitan University, Division of Biological Sciences and Health (Mexico), 1981
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY