David M. Otterburn, M.D.
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Specialties and Expertise
- Plastic Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Breast Reconstruction With SIEA Free Flap
- Breast Reconstruction With DIEP Free Flap
- Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Augmentation
- Plastic Cosmetic Surgery
- Brow Lift
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Body Contouring
- Botox Injection
- Abdominal Plastic Surgery
David Otterburn, MD, is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Department of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is an Assistant Attending Surgeon at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Otterburn is board-certified in both plastic surgery and general surgery. His clinical expertise includes plastic and reconstructive surgery, and he has additional training and specialization in microvascular surgery for complex reconstructions throughout the body, utilizing 3-D imaging and other state-of-the-art technologies to obtain optimal outcomes. A special focus includes microvascular breast reconstruction with perforator flaps from the abdomen (DIEP), buttocks (SGAP, IGAP) and thigh (PAP).
Dr. Otterburn performs breast reductions, lifts and augmentations, utilizing minimally invasive methods such as endoscopic and short scar techniques when possible. His surgical expertise also includes oculoplastic reconstruction and reconstruction following Mohs surgery. He offers patients both facial aesthetic and body-contouring procedures, as well as Botox and injectables.
A board-certified general and plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Otterburn has received numerous honors and awards in academics, teaching and research. He received his B.A. in political science with honors from Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey in May 1997. During his program, he was selected into the BA/MD program from 1995 through May 1997. Dr. Otterburn received his M.D. degree from Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey in May 2000. He completed his internship in general surgery at Cooper University Hospital, Camden, New Jersey in June, 2001, and his general surgery residency at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia in June, 2007. Dr. Otterburn completed a plastic surgery residency training program at Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia in June, 2010, and a microsurgery fellowship at New York University Medical Center, Department of Plastic Surgery, New York in June, 2011.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
New York SuperDoctor: an Honor given to 5% of all New York physicians
- Plastic Surgery
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery (Plastic Surgery) - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Education and Training
- M.D., Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2000
- B.A., Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, 1997
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare