- Pediatric Neuro-Oncology
- Pediatric Oncology
- Cancer, Metastatic
- Pediatric Brain Tumors
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Professor of Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Stavros S. Niarchos Professor in Pediatric Cardiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Brown University School of Medicine, 1989
- Ph.D., University of Vermont, 1985
- B.S., University of Connecticut, 1981
I’d like the results of my research to be used to personalize medicine for each patient to make it more effective with fewer side effects. Each child cured makes everything I do worthwhile.
Dr. David Lyden is an authority on the mechanisms by which cancer metastasizes throughout the body, particularly through the establishment of blood vessels that tumors need to grow and spread.
He is the Stavros S. Niarchos Chair and runs a laboratory studying the biology of medulloblastoma and high-grade gliomas. His lab is working to understand how cells in the environment around a tumor foster tumor growth.
In addition to research, Dr. Lyden teaches fellows, residents, medical students, graduate students, and MD/PhD students in the Tri-Institutional MD/PhD Program, which includes The Rockefeller University, and has been recognized with several awards.
His work has been published in major scientific journals such as Nature, Cell, and Science, and he is the lead editor of a major textbook called Cancer Metastasis: Biologic Basis and Therapeutics, the first textbook dedicated to research on metastasis and the treatment of metastatic disease. Dr. Lyden also serve on the board of the Tumor Microenvironment Steering Committee and the Metastasis Steering Committee of the American Association of Cancer Research.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark