Locations and Appointments
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Motility Disorder, Esophageal
- Upper Endoscopy
- Anorectal Motility Disorder
- Congenital Esophageal Defect
- Wireless Capsule Endoscopy
- Congenital Anorectal Defect
- PH Probe Testing
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- PH Impedance Testing
- Celiac Disease
- Botox Injection
- Esophageal Stricture
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Percutaneous Placement of Gastrostomy Tube
- Feeding Problems
- Endoscopic Control of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Rectal Biopsy
- Liver Biopsy
- Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders
- Esophageal Motility Disorder
- Gastric Motility Disorder
- Intestinal Motility Disorder
- Idiopathic Gastric Motility Disorder
- Motility Study, Colon
- Motility Study, Duodenal
- Crohn's Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Fecal Incontinence
- Constipation, Outlet Dysfunction
- Swallowing Disorder
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Intestinal Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Poznan University of Medical Sciences (Poland), 2003
- B.A., Felician College, 1999
Being a pediatric gastroenterologist allows me to do what I love the most -- to be able to help children with their ever-challenging gastrointestinal problems. At Weill Cornell, I am a part of a unique institution, where comprehensive patient care, family integration, and pioneering research are driving forces that subsequently help patients and their loved ones to receive the best gastrointestinal care.
While I practice in the whole range of digestive diseases in pediatric patients, I devote extra focus to the study and treatment of motility disorders. These are a unique subset of disorders that cause the body to fail to move nutrition normally through the length of the digestive tract. I lead the Pediatric Motility Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Komansky Children's Hospital and Weill Cornell Medicine, the only center that the full range of diagnostic and treatment capability in the New York metro area. I strive to provide the most advanced, thoughtful, and family-oriented care to all patients, including yours.
Dr. Thomas Ciecierega is an Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Associate Attending Pediatrician at New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Ciecierega is the Director of the Pediatric Motility Program, the most comprehensive motility center in the tri-state area. He is also the Director of the Pediatric Endoscopy Unit at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Children's Hospital at Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Ciecierega is a leading world expert in pediatric motility, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of complex motility disorders. He specializes in complex esophageal, gastric, intestinal, colonic, and anorectal motility testing. Dr. Ciecierega’s expertise goes beyond routine gastroenterology testing as he specializes in advanced endoscopic procedures. Dr. Ciecierega co-directs many multispecialty clinics at the Weill Cornell Pediatric Sub-Specialty Practice, including the Pediatric Aerodigestive Clinic, Chest Pain Clinic and Constipation Clinic. Dr. Ciecierega leads multidisciplinary teams which include pulmonologists, ENT specialists, speech and swallow specialists, dieticians and surgery specialists. He specializes in treating children with complex inborn or acquired ano-rectal and esophageal defects such as imperforated anus, esophageal atresia and trachea-esophageal fistula. Because of his extensive expertise, he sees patients who are referred to him by other specialists from the local area and from around the country, as well as from around the world.
Dr. Ciecierega completed his medical degree (M.D.) at the Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences in Poznan, Poland. He then immigrated to United States in 2003. He went on to train at the Goryeb Children's Hospital in Morristown, New Jersey where he completed a three-year residency in Pediatrics, followed by a Fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin.
Dr. Ciecierega is a past member of an elite Pediatric Motility Committee and currently a member of Endoscopy and Procedures Committee at North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN). Dr. Ciecierega's interests include aerodigestive disorders, congenital ("born with") esophageal and ano-rectal defects, motility disorders, feeding problems, constipation and gastroesophageal reflux disease. Dr. Ciecierega is co-directing yearly international Pediatric, Adolescent and Adult Foregut Interdisciplinary Symposium.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Ciecierega is an active researcher and educator. He is well recognized and has presented his research and taught at many national and international conferences. Dr. Ciecierega has a strong interest in medical education. His academic pursuits include lecturing to residents and fellows in the clinical setting. His has extensive research in areas of motility, reflux and constipation.
Dr. Ciecierega In the News:
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- United Health Care
- WellCare Health Plans
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 2016-Current Endoscopy and Procedures Committee member, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.
- 2013-2016 Neurogastroenterology and Motility Committee member, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.
- 08/2010 Young Investigator Travel Award granted by American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society for research findings in field of "Esophageal Epithelial Intercellular Space – A marker of Esophageal Injury in Non-Erosive Reflux Disease"
- 11/2009 Poster of distinction granted by North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition for research findings in field of "Single Day Preparation with Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 3350: An Effective Regimen for Colonoscopy in Children.
- 06/1999 Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- 06/1999 Certificate of Excellence for Highest GPA in Biology
- 06/1999 Honor Award for Outstanding Achievement in Bachelor of Arts/Biology
- Certificate of Appreciation for Serving as a Peer Supporter for 4 years
- 06/1998 Felician College Student of the Year