Specialties and Expertise
- Interventional Cardiology
- Cardiac Catheterization
Dr. S. Chiu Wong is a Professor of Medicine of the Greenberg Division of Cardiology in the Department of Medicine of the Weill Medical College of Cornell University. He is the Director of Cardiac Catheterization laboratories at the NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Wong graduated Summa Cum Laude from Columbia College in May 1980 and received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons in May 1984. Following his medical internship, residency, and clinical cardiology training at St. Luke's/Roosevelt Medical Center in New York City, he spent one additional stent fellowship year in 1991 under the tutorage of Dr. Richard Schatz at Scripps's Clinic and Research Foundation in La Jolla, California. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease and Interventional Cardiology.
After his medical training, Dr. Wong joined the Cardiology Research Foundation at the Washington Hospital in 1992 and was appointed as Director of Coronary Stent Program in 1993. In 1995, Dr. Wong spearheaded a new cardiac catheterization program at the New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens where he assumed the directorship of coronary interventions. In October 1999, Dr. Wong was recruited to the New York Presbyterian Hospital - Cornell Campus as Director of Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories.
Dr. Wong has published extensively in the field of interventional cardiology with special focus on new device angioplasty, saphenous vein graft intervention, cardiogenic shock, and drug eluting stent. His current clinical research interests include novel drug eluting stent designs, access site and PFO closure devices, percutaneous valve repair, and application of stem cell technology in the treatment of myocardial ischemia. In the past five years, Dr. Wong and his colleagues had participated in multiple US pivotal trials that led to the FDA approval of both drug eluting stents for the treatment of symptomatic obstructive coronary artery disease. Dr. Wong has recently served as the national principal investigation in the ECLIPSE trial which evaluated the safety and efficacy of an extra-vascular bio-degradable access site closure device in patients undergoing coronary or peripheral diagnostic/interventional procedures compare to the standard treatment of manual compression.
Other exciting areas of ongoing research include percutaneous treatment valvular disease states including mitral regurgitation and aortic stenosis, assessment of novel pharmacologic agents to enhance safety of angioplasty procedures.
His clinical research activities have been published in Journal of American College of Cardiology, American Journal of Cardiology, American heart Journal and he has presented his findings at numerous national and international meetings including American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, Transcatheter Therapeutics, Summer in Seattle, Taiwan Society of Cardiology and Asia Pacific Cardiology Congress. He is recruited to serve as member of the Scientific Advisory Board of multiple major US medical device companies.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Cardiovascular Disease)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Interventional Cardiology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1984
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported