Our center is one of the largest in the country, treating more than 1,000 inpatients and 4,000 outpatients each year-one-third of whom are children-form emergency response to rehabilitation. The Burn center is a Castle Connolly Center of Excellence and has repeatedly been recognized by the American Burn Association as setting the highest standards for burn care.
• A Team of Specialists: Treatment for burns starts with medical care but also includes supportive care. Your healthcare team includes burn surgeons and other physicians, nurses, physician assistants, physical and occupational therapists who direct rehabilitation, psychologists who provide emotional support (with special treatments for patients with posttraumatic stress disorder), social workers who can connect you with resources, and registered dietitians who ensure you’re getting the hydration and nutrition younger patients and their family members cope with hospitalization and illness. Together, your team assembles a customized plan for coordinated care to support you on your journey to recovery.
• Comprehensive Care, in One Location: All of the services you need for your care are available in one hospital. Our 40-bed facility was designed to provide integrated specialty services during the three phases of care: burn shock, wound care/surgery, and rehabilitation/reconstruction. We provide therapeutic, emotional, educational, and recreational care for our younger patients and their family members in the Firefighter Jeff Giordano Children’s Playroom.
• Rehabilitation to Support Recover: Physical, emotional, social, and functional rehabilitation are important components of your healing. Our team of researchers and physical and occupational therapists are available to help you readjust to your daily life.
• Support Beyond Treatment: We know the physical and emotional recovery after a burn can sometimes continue long after the skin has healed. That why we have several support groups for burn survivors. WE offer dedicated support groups for adult burn survivors and parents/caregivers of hospitalized children with burns.
• Partnering with the Community: The Burn Center partners with other organizations like the New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation, to provide programs in wound healing, research, prevention, education, and reintegration. Our experts speak regular about burn hazard and how to reduce burn risk.
• Burn Camps for Children: Camp Phoenix is run by students at Weill Cornell Medical College and provides local, safe, fun activities to children aged 7 to 17 years who have been affected by a burn injury. Camp activities build self-confidence, focus on teamwork, and bring together kids who understand each other. Siblings are also welcome to attend.
• Leaders in Research: Thought the New York Firefighters Wound Healing Research Program, our investigators are conducting research centered on innovations in burn treatment and studying effective prevention methods and injury trends.
Our 20-bed unit is designed specifically to care for burn patients, and includes:
• oversized rooms to accommodate specialized monitoring equipment and heat shields suspended over beds to maintain body temperature
• a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for wound healing and treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation
• a hydrotherapy room for daily washing and dressing changes
• a rehabilitation facility
• an outpatient clinic
• a children's playroom
• a wound healing program
To refer patients to our outpatient practice for evaluation by one of our expert surgeons and compassionate team, please call (646) 962-2580 for an appointment.
What Our Patients Are Saying
"Very good doctor He has very good ideas and always ask at end are there any questions I needed answers too before he goes to next patient."
"Grateful for the expertise and care received by Dr Gallager and the incredible team of nurses and technicians at Cornell Weill burn unit . Thank you all!!"
"I thank Dr. Houng and his team of physicians that provided me superior service in treating my recent burn injury at New York Presbyterian Hospital. The entire medical staff including the nurses and aides that assisted me during my stay were very professional and awesome in helping me bare my pain and manage my recovery. The services received from the staff at NY Presbyterian were beyond my expectations. I truly had a good stay and the food was good also. I highly recommend to anyone!!!"