Brian D. Robinson, M.D.
Dr. Robinson is a board-certified Anatomic Pathologist with subspecialty expertise and interest in Genitourinary Pathology. After finishing his residency training at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, he completed a clinical and research fellowship in Urologic Pathology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. His research focuses on the pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of bladder, kidney, and prostate cancers.
Dr. Robinson has co-authored more than 30 peer-reviewed publications, and he has written several textbook chapters on both benign and malignant urologic diseases. He serves on several expert panels for prostate, bladder, and upper urinary tract malignancies, and he was recently named to the Editorial Board for the Precision Medicine Section of Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine.
In addition to his research activities, he is active in medical student education and serves as Pathology Director for the second year medical student pathophysiology course.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Kauffman EC, Robinson BD, Downes M, Marcinkiewicz K, Vourganti S, Scherr DS, Gudas LJ, Mongan NP. “Estrogen receptor-β expression and pharmacological targeting in bladder cancer.” Oncology Reports. 2013 Jul;30(1):131-8.
2. Ittmann M, Huang J, Radaelli E, Martin P, Signoretti S, Sullivan R, Simons BW, Ward JM, Robinson BD, Chu GC, Loda M, Thomas G, Borowsky A, Cardiff RD. “Animal Models of Human Prostate Cancer: The Consensus Report of the New York Meeting of the Mouse Models of Human Cancers Consortium Prostate Pathology Committee.” Cancer Research. 2013 May 1;73(9):2718-2736
3. Xylinas E, Rink M, Robinson BD, Lotan Y, Babjuk M, Brisuda A, Green DA, Kluth LA, Pycha A, Fradet Y, Faison T, Lee RK, Karakiewicz PI, Zerbib M, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Impact of histological variants on oncological outcomes of patients with urothelial carcinoma of the bladder treated with radical cystectomy.” European Journal of Cancer. 2013 May;49(8):1889-97.
4. Rink M, Furberg H, Zabor EC, Xylinas E, Babjuk M, Pycha A, Lotan Y, Karakiewicz PI, Novara G, Robinson BD, Montorsi F, Chun FK, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Impact of Smoking and Smoking Cessation on Oncologic Outcomes in Primary Non-muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer.” European Urology. 2013 Apr;63(4):724-32.
5. Lotan TL, Gumuskaya B, Rahimi H, Hicks JL, Iwata T, Robinson BD, Epstein JI, De Marzo AM. “Cytoplasmic PTEN protein loss distinguishes intraductal carcinoma of the prostate from high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia.” Modern Pathology. 2013 Apr;26(4):587-603.
6. Srivastava A, Chopra S, Pham A, Sooriakumaran P, Durand M, Chughtai B, Gruschow S, Peyser A, Harneja N, Leung R, Lee R, Herman M, Robinson B, Shevchuk M, Tewari A. “Effect of a Risk-stratified Grade of Nerve-sparing Technique on Early Return of Continence After Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy.” European Urology. 2013 Mar;63(3):438-44.
7. Green DA, Rink M, Hansen J, Cha EK, Robinson B, Tian Z, Chun FK, Tagawa S, Karakiewicz PI, Fisch M, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Accurate preoperative prediction of non-organ-confined bladder urothelial carcinoma at cystectomy.” British Journal of Urology International. 2013 Mar;111(3):404-11.
8. Flacke JP, Kempkes H, Appukuttan A, Palisaar RJ, Noldus J, Robinson BD, Reusch HP, Zippin JH, Ladilov Y. “Type 10 soluble adenylyl cyclase is overexpressed in prostate carcinoma and controls proliferation of prostate cancer cells.” Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2013 Feb 1;288(5):3126-35.
9. Mosquera JM, Beltran H, Park K, MacDonald TY, Robinson BD, Tagawa ST, Perner S, Bismar TA, Erbersdobler A, Dhir R, Nelson JB, Nanus DM, Rubin MA. “Concurrent AURKA and MYCN gene amplifications are harbingers of lethal treatment-related neuroendocrine prostate cancer.” Neoplasia. 2013 Jan;15(1):1-10.
10. Tewari AK, Ali A, Metgud S, Theckumparampil N, Srivastava A, Khani F, Robinson BD, Gumpeni N, Shevchuk MM, Durand M, Sooriakumaran P, Li J, Leung R, Peyser A, Gruschow S, Asija V, Harneja N. “Functional outcomes following robotic prostatectomy using athermal, traction free risk-stratified grades of nerve sparing.” World Journal of Urology. 2013 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print]
11. Tewari AK, Ali A, Ghareeb G, Ludwig W, Metgud S, Theckumparampil N, Takenaka A, Chugtai B, Shrivastava A, Kaplan SA, Leung R, Paryani R, Grushow S, Durand M, Peyser A, Chopra S, Harneja N, Lee RK, Herman M, Robinson B, Shevchuck MM. “Improving time to continence after robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: augmentation of the total anatomic reconstruction technique by adding dynamic detrusor cuff trigonoplasty and suprapubic tube placement.” Journal of Endourology. 2012 Dec;26(12):1546-52.
12. Rink M, Zabor EC, Furberg H, Xylinas E, Ehdaie B, Novara G, Babjuk M, Pycha A, Lotan Y, Trinh QD, Chun FK, Lee RK, Karakiewicz PI, Fisch M, Robinson BD, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Impact of Smoking and Smoking Cessation on Outcomes in Bladder Cancer Patients Treated with Radical Cystectomy.” European Urology. 2012 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]
13. Rink M, Park K, Volkmer BG, Xylinas E, Hansen J, Cha EK, Robinson BD, Hautmann R, Küfer R, Engel O, Chun FK, Dahlem R, Rubin MA, Shariat SF, Mosquera JM. “Loss of SPINK1 expression is associated with unfavorable outcomes in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder after radical cystectomy.” Urologic Oncology. 2012 Sep 1. [Epub ahead of print]
14. Makino T, Jain M, Montrose DC, Aggarwal A, Sterling J, Bosworth B, Milsom JW, Robinson BD, Shevchuk MM, Kawaguchi K, Zhang N, Brown CM, Rivera DR, Williams WO, Xu C, Dannenberg AJ, Mukherjee S. “Multiphoton tomographic imaging: a potential optical biopsy tool for detecting gastrointestinal inflammation and neoplasia.” Cancer Prevention and Research. 2012 Nov;5(11):1280-90.
15. Durand M, Robinson BD, Aronowitz E, Tewari AK, Ballon DJ. “High-Resolution Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Prostatectomy Specimens: A Promising Tool for Virtual Histology.” European Urology. 2012 Nov;62(5):938-40.
16. Fajkovic H, Cha EK, Jeldres C, Robinson BD, Rink M, Xylinas E, Chromecki TF, Breinl E, Svatek RS, Donner G, Tagawa ST, Tilki D, Bastian PJ, Karakiewicz PI, Volkmer BG, Novara G, Joual A, Faison T, Sonpavde G, Daneshmand S, Lotan Y, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Extranodal Extension Is a Powerful Prognostic Factor in Bladder Cancer Patients with Lymph Node Metastasis.” European Urology. 2012 Jul 20. [Epub ahead of print]
17. Grisanzio C, Werner L, Takeda D, Awoyemi BC, Pomerantz MM, Yamada H, Sooriakumaran P, Robinson BD, Leung R, Schinzel AC, Mills I, Ross-Adams H, Neal DE, Kido M, Yamamoto T, Petrozziello G, Stack EC, Lis R, Kantoff PW, Loda M, Sartor O, Egawa S, Tewari AK, Hahn WC, Freedman ML. “Genetic and functional analyses implicate the NUDT11, HNF1B, and SLC22A3 genes in prostate cancer pathogenesis.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2012 Jul 10;109(28):11252-7.
18. Najari BB, Ramasamy R, Sterling J, Aggarwal A, Sheth S, Li PS, Dubin JM, Goldenberg S, Jain M, Robinson BD, Shevchuk M, Scherr DS, Goldstein M, Mukherjee S, Schlegel PN. “Pilot Study of the Correlation of Multiphoton Tomography of Ex Vivo Human Testis with Histology.” Journal of Urology. 2012 Aug;188(2):538-43.
19. Rink M, Robinson BD, Green DA, Cha EK, Hansen J, Comploj E, Margulis V, Raman JD, Ng CK, Remzi M, Bensalah K, Kabbani W, Haitel A, Rioux-Leclercq N, Guo CC, Chun FK, Kikuchi E, Kassouf W, Sircar K, Sun M, Sonpavde G, Lotan Y, Pycha A, Karakiewicz PI, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Impact of Histological Variants on Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Upper Urinary Tract Urothelial Carcinoma.” Journal of Urology. 2012 Aug;188(2):398-404.
20. Jain M*, Robinson BD*, Scherr DS, Sterling J, Lee MM, Wysock J, Rubin MA, Maxfield FR, Zipfel WR, Webb WW, Mukherjee S. “Multiphoton Microscopy in the Evaluation of Human Bladder Biopsies.” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2012 May;136(5):517-26. (*co-First Authors)
21. Rink M, Cha EK, Green D, Hansen J, Robinson BD, Lotan Y, Sagalowsky AI, Chun FK, Karakiewicz PI, Fisch M, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Biomolecular Predictors of Urothelial Cancer Behavior and Treatment Outcomes.” Current Urology Reports. 2012 Apr;13(2):122-35.
22. Ramasamy R, Sterling J, Li PS, Robinson BD, Parekattil S, Chen J, Felsen D, Mukherjee S, Goldstein M, Schlegel PN. “Multiphoton imaging and laser ablation of rodent spermatic cord nerves: potential treatment for patients with chronic orchialgia.” Journal of Urology. 2012 Feb;187(2):733-8.
23. Rink M, Chun FK, Robinson B, Sun M, Karakiewicz PI, Bensalah K, Fisch M, Scherr DS, Lee RK, Margulis V, Shariat SF. “Tissue-based molecular markers for renal cell carcinoma.” Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica. 2011 Dec;63(4):293-308.
24. Ramasamy R, Sterling J, Fisher ES, Li PS, Jain M, Robinson BD, Shevchuck M, Huland D, Xu C, Mukherjee S, Schlegel PN. “Identification of spermatogenesis with multiphoton microscopy: an evaluation in a rodent model.” Journal of Urology. 2011 Dec;186(6):2487-92.
25. Tewari AK, Srivastava A, Huang MW, Robinson BD, Shevchuk MM, Durand M, Sooriakumaran P, Grover S, Yadav R, Mishra N, Mohan S, Brooks DC, Shaikh N, Khanna A, Leung R. “Anatomical grades of nerve sparing: a risk-stratified approach to neural-hammock sparing during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy (RARP).” BJU International. 2011 Sep;108(6):984-92.
26. Roussos ET, Goswami S, Balsamo M, Wang Y, Stobezki R, Adler E, Robinson BD, Jones JG, Gertler FB, Condeelis JS, Oktay MH. “Mena invasive (Mena(INV)) and Mena11a isoforms play distinct roles in breast cancer cell cohesion and association with TMEM.” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis. 2011 Aug;28(6):515-27.
27. Kauffman EC, Robinson BD, Downes MJ, Powell LG, Lee MM, Scherr DS, Gudas LJ, Mongan NP. “Role of Androgen Receptor and Associated Lysine-Demethylase Coregulators, LSD1 and JMJD2A, in Localized and Advanced Human Bladder Cancer.” Molecular Carcinogenesis. 2011 Dec;50(12):931-44.
28. Robinson BD and Epstein JI. “Intraductal Carcinoma of the Prostate without Invasive Carcinoma on Needle Biopsy: Emphasis on Radical Prostatectomy Findings.” Journal of Urology. October 2010; 184(4): 1328-1333.
29. Barbieri CE, Lotan Y, Lee RK, Sonpavde G, Karakiewicz PI, Robinson B, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. “Tissue-based molecular markers for bladder cancer.” Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica. September 2010; 62(3): 241-258.
30. Beltran H, Robinson BD and Tagawa ST. “Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Urinary Bladder Presenting as Peritoneal Carcinomatosis.” Advances in Urology. 2010; 2010: 179250.
31. Miller JS, Chen Y, Ye H, Robinson BD, Brimo F and Epstein JI. “Extraprostatic Extension of Prostatic Adenocarcinoma on Needle Core Biopsy: Report of 72 Cases with Clinical Follow-Up.” BJU International. August 2010; 106(3): 330-333.
32. Brimo F, Robinson B, Guo C, Zhou M, Latour M and Epstein JI. “Renal Epithelioid Angiomyolipoma with Atypia: A Series of 40 Cases with Emphasis on Clinicopathological Prognostic Indicators of Malignancy.” American Journal of Surgical Pathology. May 2010; 34(5): 715-722.
33. Robinson BD, Sica GL, Liu YF, Rohan TE, Gertler FB, Condeelis JS and Jones JG. “Tumor Microenvironment of Metastasis (TMEM) in Human Breast Carcinoma: A potential prognostic marker linked to hematogenous dissemination.” Clinical Cancer Research. April 1, 2009; 15(7): 2433-2441.
34. Robinson BD, Amin BD and Hoda SA. “Alternaria Simulating Metastatic Breast Carcinoma in Cytokeratin-stained Axillary Sentinel Node Sections.” The Breast Journal. January-February 2008; 14(1): 120-121.
Honors and Awards
2013 - Medical Student Second Year Teaching Award
2012 - Stowell-Orbison Award, Certificate of Merit (Mentor)
2009 - American Association for Cancer Research Scholar-in-Training Award
- Urologic Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
- Genitourinary Symptoms
- Genitourinary Disease
- Anatomic Pathology
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, 2002
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2006