Benjamin J. May, M.D.
Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Specialties and Expertise
- Vascular Radiology
- Transarterial Hepatic Radioembolization
- Microwave Ablation With Computed Tomography Guidance
- Palliative Care
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization
- Endovenous Ablation
Benjamin J. May, M.D. is a board certified Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologist.
Dr. May obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of California – San Diego in 2001. In 2005, he was awarded the Golding Service and Research Scholarship to attend the Albert Einstein College of Medicine where he earned his medical degree in 2009. During this time, Dr. May was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) medical honor society and served as President of the Albert Einstein Medical Student Chapter of the American Medical Association.
Following an internship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Dr. May completed residency training in Diagnostic Radiology (2010-2014) at New York Presbyterian – Weill Cornell Medical Center. There, he served as Chief Resident and earned the Alexander R. Margulis Award in 2013 for excellence in residency. He remained at Cornell / Memorial Sloan Kettering for a year of fellowship training in Interventional Radiology / Interventional Oncology. After finishing his sub-specialty training, Dr. May remained at Cornell as a full-time Interventional Radiologist from 2015-2019. There, he served as Associate Program Director, was chosen as a Dean’s Healthcare Leadership fellow, and served as faculty advisor to the Cornell medical students. After two years in private practice, Dr. May returned to Weill Cornell in 2021.
Dr. May’s clinical expertise is in Interventional Radiology with a focus on Hepatic and Oncology procedures. He works closely with the Hepatobiliary service performing advanced procedures such as TIPS, portal vein embolization and biliary stenting. His performs targeted cancer therapies such as Y-90 radioembolization, transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) and thermal ablation of tumors within the liver, lung, kidney, bone and soft tissue. Other oncologic procedures include biopsies throughout the body, chemotherapy infusion ports, and palliative pain procedures. He performs a wide range of non-oncologic procedures including uterine fibroid embolization, embolization for chronic knee hemarthrosis, and management of kidney and ureteral blockage.
Dr. May has authored numerous research articles and book chapters and given invited lectures at the New York Roentgen Ray Society and the Society of Interventional Radiology annual meetings. His research has been published in several prestigious journals such as the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology and the American Journal of Roentgenology. Dr. May is a member of the Society of Interventional Radiology and founding member of the Society of Interventional Oncology.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- American Board of Radiology (Diagnostic Radiology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 2009
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 2001
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported