Bruce B. Lerman, M.D.
Dr. Bruce B. Lerman is the H. Altschul Master Professor of Medicine, Chief of the Division of Cardiology and Director of the Electrophysiology Laboratory at Weill-Cornell and the New York Presbyterian Hospital. He received his medical degree from Loyola University - Stritch School of Medicine, was an intern and medical resident at Northwestern University and completed his cardiology fellowship at Johns Hopkins. He trained in cardiac electrophysiology at the University of Pennsylvania.
He has authored over 200 original publications, 60 book chapters and 2 books. He is a recipient of the Established Investigator Award from the American Heart Association and had received multiple grants from the NIH. He is currently on the editorial boards of Circulation, Heart Rhythm, Journal of Cardiac Electrophysiology, Pacing and Clinical Electrophysology and the Journal of Innovations in Cardiac Rhythm Management. He is a member of the exam writing committee of the American Board of Internal Medicine for the Cardiac Electrophysiology Board Examination..
His research contributions include elucidating the myriad electrophsyiologic mechanisms of the nucleoside adenosine, pioneering the concept of current-based defibrillation and determining the role of mechanoelectrical feedback as a stimulus for triggering malignant ventricular arrhythmias. His current work focuses on the the cellular and molecular mechanisms of ventricular outflow tract tachycardia. His laboratory has identified critical somatic mutations in the cAMP signal transduction cascade that mediate this form of ventricular tachycardia, thus introducing a new paradigm for the causation of ventricular tachycardia. He has been issued 4 patents.
He clinical concentration focuses on the diagnosis and treatment (ablation) of complex atrial and ventricular arrhythmias, as well as on the treatment of life-threatening arrhythmias with implantable devices. For the last 15 years, he’s been named in New York Magazine- Best Doctors, Castle Connolly – America’s Top Doctors, US News and World Report (Best Doctors) and the New York Times (Super Doctors).
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Honors and Awards
- H. Altschul Master Professor of Medicine
- Established Investigatorship Award, American Heart Association
- Sackler Scholar
- Chairman, Program Committee American College of Cardiology Scientific Session (2005)
- Young Investigators Award, American College of Cardiology
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Catheter Ablation
- Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Implantable Defibrillators
- Cardiac Resynchronization
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
- M.D., Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University of Chicago, 1977