I am a member of the Gynecologic and Obstetrics Pathology and Molecular Pathology divisions at Weill Cornell/NYPH. My expertise in both areas has been longly builted. From 2003-2007 I was a resident in Anatomic Pathology (Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo/UNIFESP) and did my surgical pathology fellowship followed by a master degree in science at AC Camargo Cancer Center in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I practiced as a general surgical pathologist, GYN pathologist and biomarker expert also in Sao Paulo, Brazil (2007-2014) in the largest and most renowned medical institutions in Latin America in both settings, academic (Universidade de Sao Paulo/USP/ICESP) and private hospitals (i.e, Hospital Albert Einstein and Hospital Sirio-Libanes). I then re-trained at Harvard, pursuing a post- doctoral research fellowship (2014-2017) at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI). Next, I did my AP residency, Women's and Perinatal Pathology and Molecular Genetic Pathology fellowships at Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH from 2017-2021).My current research interests include endometrial and ovarian cancers and endometriosis, focusing on discovery of new diagnostic and prognostic markers as well as molecular biomarkers that could potentially be used as targeted therapies.I am a member of several pathology professional organizations such as CAP, USCAP, SLAP, AMP and ISGyP. Lastely, I am an advocate for diversity and inclusion in the medical field.
Specialties and Expertise
- Molecular Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
Anna received her M.D. degree from Brazil in 2002 and an M.Sc. degree in Oncology in 2010. She then did a residency and fellowship training from 2003-2007 in Sao Paulo, Brazil followed by additional residency and fellowship training in Boston at the Massachusetts General Hospital, the Dana-Farber Research Institute and the Brigham and Women's Hospital from 20014-2021. She is now a very well-trained, boarded anatomic pathologist who will focus on gynecological and perinatal pathology while at Weill Cornell Medicine.
Anna has over 14 years of experience in the field of diagnostic pathology. Her understanding for anatomic and molecular pathology is outstanding. She has a very broad morphologic knowledge base that is accompanied by an ability to translate her findings into scientific publications as well as into diagnostic practice. She is a very hard worker and always willing to help others scientifically with their research projects.
Anna's publication record is very strong to date. She has 48 peer-reviewed publications, with four as first or shared first author. These publications include top notch journals, including Nature Medicine, Clinical Cancer Research, and JNCI. Her track record is very impressive for her career stage and emphasizes her team spirit and prolific nature as a scientist.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
• Travel grant and scholarship; Molecular Biology, INCA, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2000
• International Educational Travel/ International Undergraduate research internship (URI), AECI, Madrid, Spain, 2001
• Young investigator and travel award, NANETS, Jackson, Wyoming, 2021
• Jeremy Jass Prize from for Research Excellence in Pathology, ISGyP, 2016
• Young investigator and travel award, ENET, 2017
• W Dwayne Lawrence Award for Best Platform in Gynecological Pathology presented by a trainee, USCAP/ ISGyP, 2021
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic Pathology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Pathologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.Sc., AC Camargo Cancer Center (Brazil), 2010
- M.D., Federal University of Triangulo Mineiro Faculty of Medicine (Brazil), 2002
Insurance Plans Accepted
For relevant information regarding accepted insurances, please contact this provider directly.