Alan C. Legasto, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- Heart Imaging
- Thoracic Radiology
- Chest Imaging
- Noninvasive Cardiac Imaging
- Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Cardiac MRI
- MRI of the Heart
- MRI Chest
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography
- Cardiac CT
- CT Scan of the Heart
- Chest CT
- CT Scan of the Chest
- Chest X-Ray
- PET Scan
- Positron Emission Tomography
- Lung Disease
- Lung Cancer
- Screening For Lung Cancer
- CT Lung Screening
- Lung Cancer-Diagnostic Testing
- Low Dose Computed Tomography of Lungs For Lung Cancer Screening
- Heart Disease
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
Alan C. Legasto, M.D. is a board-certified radiologist specializing in thoracic imaging. He is Assistant Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Radiologist at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus.
Dr. Legasto earned his B.A., in English, from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo in 1996. He then received his M.D. degree from the Ross University School of Medicine in Dominica, West Indies in 2000.
Following his transitional internship year at St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Dr. Legasto completed residency training in Diagnostic Radiology (2001-2005) at Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn. This was followed by a one year fellowship in Thoracic Radiology at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
After training, Dr. Legasto joined the Departments of Radiology at Beth Israel Medical Center (NYC) and St. Lukes Roosevelt Hospital Center (the former Continuum Health Care System) in 2006 and was appointed Section Chief of Cardiothoracic Radiology in 2007. He was on the faculty the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University as Assistant Professor of Radiology from 2006 through 2014. Dr. Legasto started on the Weill Cornell Medical College faculty as Assistant Professor of Radiology in March 2014.
Dr. Legasto achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology from the American Board of Radiology in 2005.
Dr. Legasto’s clinical expertise is in thoracic and cardiac imaging. He interprets a wide range of imaging examinations, including radiography, CT, MRI, PET, and ultrasound.
His research interests include MRI imaging of the chest. In addition to clinical activities, Dr. Legasto is an active teacher of residents, fellows, and medical students. At Beth Israel Medical Center, Dr. Legasto was voted, by the radiology residents, as the “Teacher of the Year” for three year out of the eight years he was at Beth Israel. In 2013 he was selected as “SuperDocs Rising,” a peer elected acknowledgement for the New York Times Magazine.
Dr. Legasto is a member of the following professional societies:
- Society of Thoracic Radiology
- American College of Radiology
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- American Board of Radiology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.D., Ross University School of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (Dominica, WI), 2000
- B.A., State University of New York at Buffalo, 1996
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported