Akash Patel, M.D.
I am drawn to primary care internal medicine in New York City for several reasons. After completing residency here at NYP-Cornell, my admiration has grown for the diverse population and life experiences that make our city so vibrant. I enjoy building strong, longitudinal relationships with my patients, centered on providing evidenced based care in a comfortable setting. In addition, I value lifelong learning - learning not only from each other during our shared encounters in the clinic but also from the ever changing field of medicine itself. I am thrilled to be your primary care doctor and I look forward to our partnership.
Specialties and Expertise
- Primary Care Internist
Dr. Patel was born and raised in New Jersey. He attended college at Virginia Commonwealth University, where he graduated summa cum laude in Biology with a minor in business. He returned to New Jersey for medical school at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, where he graduated with honors as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. Dr. Patel completed his residency in Internal Medicine-Primary Care at New York Presbyterian - Weill Cornell Medical Center. His clinical interests include preventative care, weight management, cardiovascular health, and chronic disease management. Outside of the practice, he enjoys exploring the city’s culinary scene, watching our local sports teams, and traveling.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Instructor in Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2018
- B.S., Virginia Commonwealth University, 2014
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- * Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Compass
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported