Weijia Yuan, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
Dr. Weijia Yuan is an Attending Rheumatologist focused on working together with patients to make a positive impact on all aspects of their lives, but specifically to liberate them from the uncertainty of rheumatic disease.
Dr. Yuan specializes in treating patients in an undifferentiated state, who have trouble identifying their illness due to the spectrum nature of autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases are often an unfortunate combination of "vulnerable genes" and environmental triggers which lead to chronic inflammation. Because of the intermittent and vague nature of chronic inflammatory symptoms, patients often start to wonder if their symptoms are just "in the head" after years of not finding an answer.
Even as an internal medicine resident, Dr. Yuan realized that making the right diagnosis alone can often be a great relief for patients who suffered from long-term debilitating symptoms. Since then, her passion for rheumatology has grown as she sees how chronic autoimmune inflammation can deeply impact or even take over a person's life. Dr. Yuan’s priority during the clinical evaluation is to have an open mind, listen and encourage patients to share additional clues to assist diagnosis and treatment.
Through the practice of rheumatology, Dr. Yuan has come to understand that lifestyle change is so powerful, yet often overlooked. She has adopted a holistic approach to treatments that look at the mind-body as a whole, and has had much success in patients modifying their lifestyle to address the root cause of their autoimmunity.
Dr. Weijia Yuan graduated from Shanghai Second Medical University in 1998. She completed her residency in Internal Medicine at Renji Hospital and Weill Cornell Medical College in 2001 and 2008, respectively. She pursued her specialty in Rheumatology as a Fellow at the Hospital for Special Surgery in 2013. She has been a member of the American College of Rheumatology since 2008.Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medical College in 2014, Dr. Yuan was a member of a private practice in Brooklyn.
- Internal Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- B.M., Shanghai Second Medical University (China), 1998
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- * Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- * VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- * VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY