You are here
Dr. Vanessa Valerie Pena is a Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist who provides comprehensive care in all aspects of general Obstetrics and Gynecology. She is dedicated to providing the high level of gynecological medical attention all women deserve in any stage of life, including well woman and preventive care. She is proud to be able to help women prepare to start their families and guide them through their pregnancy, whether low or high risk, in a friendly, caring and supportive atmosphere. Her mission is to treat every patient at a personal level, with dignity and compassion, while providing the best care possible.
Dr. Pena received her medical degree from Universidad del Noreste, Tampico, Mexico in 2000, where she was awarded an “honorary distinction” upon graduating for being the most outstanding student in her class. She then did her internship and social service in Mexico and obtained her medical license in 2003. In 2004, she moved from her native Mexico to New York to start her residency at St Vincent's Hospital Manhattan, which she completed in 2008. While in residency, Dr. Pena was awarded “The Compassion and Charity in Women’s Health Award”, “The Martin L Stone Society Research Award” and “The Excellence in Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Procedures Award”.
Dr. Pena has been active in international education programs, including teaching updates in Obstetrics and Gynecology to doctors in Latin America. She worked as an Attending Physician in a faculty practice at St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan and New York Downtown Hospital prior to joining the faculty at Weill Cornell Medical College. She has been Board Certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology since 2010 and is a fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She is fluent in Spanish.
Specialties & Expertise
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Blue Priority Network
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- * Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- * Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- * UHC Compass
- United Health Care
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Instructor in Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., University of the Northeast, Faculty of Medicine (Mexico), 2003