Tirsit S. Asfaw, M.D.
Dr. Tirsit S. Asfaw practices at Weill Cornell Ob/Gyn's 68th Street offices. She specializes in urogynecology.
Dr. Tirsit S. Asfaw is a urogynecologist who specializes in the care of women with pelvic floor weakness resulting in conditions such as pelvic organ prolapse and bladder dysfunction. The network of pelvic structures which normally support a woman's uterus, bladder and rectum may weaken with progressing age, childbirth, obesity and other factors resulting in conditions such as cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse, urinary incontinence and bladder dysfunction.
Dr. Asfaw offers comprehensive care for women with the above conditions. Her modes of treatment include robotic, abdominal, vaginal reconstructive surgery as well as medical and surgical treatment for urinary incontinence. She offers personalized treatment options that combine effective long term results with safe and quick recovery. Dr. Asfaw has an avid interest in clinical as well as basic science research and has presented her work at numerous national meetings and published in peer reviewed journals.
Dr. Asfaw received her undergraduate degree from Washington State University in Pullman, WA and her medical degree from Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. After completing her Obstetrics and Gynecology residency at New York University, New York, NY she completed an accredited three year fellowship in Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care
- GYN Surgery
- Pelvic Prolapse
- Fecal Incontinence
- Bladder Dysfunction
- Overactive Bladder
- Fistula, Female Genitourinary
- Urethral Diverticulum
- Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection
- Female Pelvic Pain
- Bladder Pain
- Robotic Surgery
- Vagina Reconstruction Surgery
- Labial Hypertrophy
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- B.S., Washington State University, 1997
- M.D., Temple University School of Medicine, 2004