The special relationship established between pediatricians, their patients, and caregivers is what attracted me to pediatrics. Over the years, I have found it rewarding to watch young parents develop confidence in caring for their children, to help them become advocates for their children, and to see my patients go on to become adults and parents themselves. I enjoy the role I have as a health care provider to my patients as well as advocate, educator, role model and confidant. I have special interests in caring for children with special health care needs and in educating our future pediatricians. My career in general academic pediatrics has afforded me the ability to spend my time doing both.
Specialties and Expertise
- Child With Special Health Care Needs
Dr. Theresa Hetzler is the Medical Director of the Resident Group Practice and the Director of Pediatric Ambulatory Care at Weill Cornell Medicine, where she is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics (Interim). She is also an Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornel Medical Center. She is board certified in Pediatrics.
Dr. Hetzler received a B.S. in Biology at Fairfield University, and her medical degree (M.D.) at Albany Medical College. She completed her Pediatric Residency at New York Medical College/Westchester Medical Center, where she also completed a Clinical Academic General Pediatrics fellowship. Her prior leadership experience includes serving as Medical Director of the Pediatric Care Clinic at Westchester Medical Center and Pediatric Program Director of the pediatric residency program at New York Medical College/Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital.
In addition to her commitment to patient care, Dr. Hetzler is dedicated to education and advocacy. Since 1992, she has been involved with teaching medical students and pediatrics in the outpatient setting. She is a member of the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) and served as the Regional Research Chair for the Continuity Research Network (CORNET) from 2004 to 2015 and is presently the Co-Chair of the APA Continuity Special Interest Group. Dr. Hetzler has participated in the Vermont Children’s Health Improvement Program, National Partnerships for Adolescent Immunization, and several CORNET research projects and quality improvement programs.
- American Board of Pediatrics
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Albany Medical College of Union University, 1988
- B.S., Fairfield University, 1983
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical