Swana De Gijsel, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
Swana De Gijsel is a hospitalist who cares for hospitalized patients only and does not have out-patient practices.
Dr. Gijsel loves the art of medicine and understanding the unique stories that narrate patient illness, while applying medical science to solve clinical problems. She is also interested in global health and communication in health care.
Dr. Gijsel graduated from medical school at the University of Amsterdam and completed her residency training at Montefiore/Albert Einstein in the Primary Care/Social medicine program. She deeply cares about effective and empathic communication with patients, providers, and within organizations. As faculty of the Academy of Communication (ACH), she leads communication workshops and Train-the-Trainer programs. She provides coaching and leads reflection groups focusing on professional identity and well-being to health care providers.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Amsterdam Faculty of Medicine (Netherlands), 2008
- M.Sc., University of Amsterdam Faculty of Medicine (Netherlands), 2006
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported