Locations and Appointments
- Cataract Surgery
- Laser Trabeculoplasty
- Laser Iridotomy
- Surgery For Glaucoma
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
- Glaucoma Suspect
- Clinical Research
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2012
- A.B., Duke University, 2008
Welcome! During your visit to the Department of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell, our team is dedicated to providing you with outstanding eye care. Many of my patients have glaucoma or are at risk for glaucoma. In addition, I care for patients with general eye conditions such as cataracts. My greatest goal is to preserve and restore vision while providing personalized and compassionate eye care. I look forward to meeting with you.
Sarah H. Van Tassel, M.D. is a board certified ophthalmologist and fellowship trained glaucoma specialist. She is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Van Tassel specializes in glaucoma evaluation and treatment, including medical management, laser, and surgical procedures. She also performs cataract surgery and is up-to-date on the latest advances in minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS).
A native of Missouri, Dr. Van Tassel graduated summa cum laude from Duke University. She attended Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City, where she also completed her residency in ophthalmology. Dr. Van Tassel then returned to Duke for a fellowship in glaucoma where she received specialized training in trabeculectomy, glaucoma drainage device implantation, laser trabeculoplasty and iridotomy, complex cataract extraction, laser-assisted cataract extraction, implantation of astigmatic (toric) and multi-focal intraocular lenses, and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery.
Dr. Van Tassel’s research focuses on the latest advances in ocular imaging and their applications to personalized diagnosis and management of glaucoma. Her research has been published in peer-reviewed journals and presented at national conferences, and she has received several academic awards including the Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship.
Dr. Van Tassel is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Glaucoma Society, Women in Ophthalmology, and additional societies. She is a founding member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Resident Self-Assessment Task Force, through which she develops educational materials for ophthalmologists-in-training.
She is committed to providing personalized glaucoma and cataract care supplemented by the newest technologies, instruments, and techniques. She is happy to provide second opinions for glaucoma and asks that all available records be obtained by the patient and brought to the consultation appointment.
Dr. Van Tassel is currently accepting new patients. Appointments can be made by calling (646) 962-2020.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Mentoring for the Advancement of Physician Scientists (MAPS) Award, American Glaucoma Society
Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellow
Resident Research Award, Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Ophthalmology
Distinguished Housestaff Award, Weill Cornell Medical Center Alumni Council
Resident Achievement Award, Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Ophthalmology
EyeWiki Residents and Fellows in Training Contest Winner, American Academy of Ophthalmology
Edward Norton Prize in Ophthalmology, Weill Cornell Medical College
G. Thomas Shires II Prize in Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College
Henry Adelman Memorial Award for Excellence in Geriatric Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College
Distinguished Honors Thesis, Duke University
Jim Bernstein Health Policy Scholar, Duke University
Phi Beta Kappa