I had always wanted to be a doctor, but after my grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer just before I started medical school, the meaning of medicine changed for me. Medicine had previously meant advanced science, clinical problem solving, and a systematic process for diagnosis and treatment. But as I accompanied my grandfather to his oncology appointments, I realized that medicine was first and foremost a humanistic endeavor. Through his illness and the compassionate internists involved in his care, I found myself gravitating towards a career in internal medicine. It was during internal medicine residency that I realized the most gratifying part of my medical career has been the opportunity to build a patient base and develop connections with my patients, particularly at my clinic. I recognized that I could impact patient’s lives by understanding social determinants of health, managing chronic conditions, and practicing preventive medicine. I understood then that I could truly make a difference in my patient’s lives – and thus found my calling in primary care.
Specialties and Expertise
- Primary Care Internist
- Preventive Medicine
- Primary Care
Dr. Jamil was born and raised in Northern Virginia. She is the eldest daughter of first-generation Pakistani immigrants and the first person in her family to attend college and medical school. She majored in Biology with a minor in Religion and obtained her Bachelors of Science degree from George Washington University in Washington, DC. She went on to achieve her medical degree from Howard University College of Medicine in Washington, DC and completed her training in internal medicine at Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai in New York. Dr. Jamil is passionate about many aspects of primary care, primarily health promotion, management of chronic conditions, disease screening and prevention, and women’s health.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Instructor in Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Howard University College of Medicine, 2017
- B.S., George Washington University, 2011
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- * Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- * Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- * United Empire
- United Healthcare
- * United Healthcare Compass
- WorldWide Medical