Locations and Appointments
- Dermatology, General
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Autoimmune Disease
- Skin Manifestation of Aids
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Tumor
- Bullous Disorder
- Complex Medical Dermatology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Dermatologist-in-Chief - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Chairman of Dermatology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- George W. Hambrick, Jr. Professor of Dermatology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Dermatology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, 1978
Weill Cornell Dermatology's three main missions are the same as my personal priorities. In patient care, we strive to provide world-class care in a warm and caring environment. In education, we seek to provide the best possible education and training to residents and medical students. In research, the department carries out a variety of projects aimed at understanding the physiology and pathophysiology of the skin with the ultimate goal of translating new knowledge to the development of new and improved methods to prevent, manage and cure disease. The dedication of our staff to pursuing these missions makes me proud to be the Chairman of The Department of Dermatology.
Richard D. Granstein, M.D. is the George W. Hambrick, Jr. Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology. Dr. Granstein obtained his undergraduate education at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his medical education at the UCLA School of Medicine. After completing his internship in 1979, he trained in dermatology at the Massachusetts General Hospital. As a Research Fellow, Dr. Granstein studied immunology and tumor biology at the National Cancer Institute-Frederick Cancer Research Facility and at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Granstein joined the faculty of the Department of Dermatology at Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts General Hospital in 1984. In 1995 he left Harvard to become Chairman of the Department of Dermatology at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and Dermatologist-in-Chief at the New York Weill Cornell Medical Center of New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Granstein's research interests center on the regulation of immunity within the skin and the relationship of the skin's immune system to the development of skin cancers. He also has a special research interest in the regulation of the immune system by stress and the nervous system. He was the first to demonstrate that certain immune cells within the skin are capable of initiating an immune response against a malignant tumor and that immune cells within the epidermis (the upper layer of the skin) have an anatomic relationship with nerves and can be regulated by proteins produced by those nerves. His clinical interests include autoimmune disorders of the skin, skin cancer, and psoriasis.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- * Affinity Access
- * Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- * Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- * VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- * VNSNY CHOICE - HMO