Specialties and Expertise
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular
- Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Coronary Artery Disease Involving Coronary Bypass Graft
- Aortic Aneurysm
- CABG, With Radial Artery Graft
- Mitral/Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Replacement, Prosthetic
- Aortic Valve Replacement With Replacement of Ascending Aorta
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Repair Aortic Dissection and Aneurysm
- Arterial Bypass Graft
- Revision, CABG, With Radial Artery Graft
- Repeat, CABG
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (MICS)
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (MICS) Without Cardiopulmonary Bypass Pump
Early in my career, I met with a patient in his early twenties and his parents. It was the day before the young man’s valve surgery and as we parted, his father said, “Doctor, today, he is my son, tomorrow, he is your son.” This simple yet moving and clear definition of the trust families place in us has always guided my approach to the care of our patients.
Cardiac surgery is the ultimate team effort and our teams at New York Presbyterian Hospital and New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital are outstanding. It is an honor to work with such dedicated professionals in providing exemplary and compassionate care to all of our cardiac surgical patients.
Dr Robert Tranbaugh is a Castle Connolly Top Doctor whose specialty is Thoracic & Cardiac Surgery and is located in Brooklyn, NY.
Dr. Robert F Tranbaugh is Professor of Clinical Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Weill Cornell Medical College and serves as the Chairman of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the New York Presbyterian-Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.
Dr. Tranbaugh is a magna cum laude graduate of Franklin and Marshall College. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine, he completed his general and cardiothoracic surgery residencies at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Tranbaugh first joined the faculty at the State University of New York—Health Science Center at Brooklyn as director of pediatric cardiac surgery. In 1991 he was selected as the first Chief of Cardiac Surgery at Beth Israel Medical Center where he built a highly successful adult cardiac surgery program until assuming his current position in 2015.
A superb surgeon, Dr. Tranbaugh has consistently achieved outstanding results as measured by the New York State Department of Health Cardiac Surgery Reporting System. His coronary artery bypass mortality rates have been among the lowest of all cardiac surgeons in the State. He has regularly been named to the New York Best Doctors, Castle Connolly’s America’s Top Doctors, Super Doctors and as one of the US News and World Report Top 1% of cardiac surgeons in the United States.
Dr. Tranbaugh’s research interests have been focused on the role of radial artery grafting in improving outcomes after coronary artery bypass surgery. He has published extensively and frequently lectures on the use of the radial artery during bypass surgery, a procedure he has been at the forefront in developing. In addition to his expertise in complex arterial bypass surgery, he is an accomplished valve and aneurysm surgeon.
A past president of the New York Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Dr. Tranbaugh is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Cardiology. He is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the New York Surgical Society and the UCSF Naffziger Surgical Society.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Phi Beta Kappa, Franklin and Marshall College
Magna cum laude, Chemistry
Merck Award for the Highest Honors in Chemistry
American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma 1st place Resident's Research Award
American Trauma Society, Young Investigators Award
American College of Chest Physicians, Best Research Award
Medical Student Teaching Award, UCSF
Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Best Adult Cardiac Surgery Poster
- Surgery, Thoracic
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Cardiothoracic Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1976
- A.B., Franklin and Marshall College, 1972
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY