You are here
520 East 70th Street, Starr 8
New York, NY 10021
P: (212) 746-5130 | F: (212) 746-8771
525 East 68th Street, Starr 8
New York, NY 10065
P: (212) 746-5130 | F: (212) 746-8771
Dr. Rasa Zarnegar is an Associate Professor of Surgery (Endocrine/Minimally Invasive Surgery) at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Associate Attending Surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. In 2012, 2013 and 2014, Dr. Zarnegar was recognized by Castle Connolly as one of the region's "Best Doctors." He was also named by New York Magazine in 2014 as one of New York's "Best Doctors."
Dr. Zarnegar's primary clinical interests include thyroid/parathyroid/adrenal and GI neuroendocrine disease as well as benign and malignant foregut disease. He has focused on minimally invasive approaches for the management of these disorders and has been involved in the development of techniques to minimize scars through single incision surgery.
He is widely published in these fields and has continued to be interested in minimizing incision length, improving cosmetic and recovery to improve quality of life without compromise of operative technique.
He has pioneered techniques in single incision foregut surgery and laparoscopic surgery further improving operative technique for reduced scar formation and postoperative pain. He has presented his work on single incision surgery nationally and internationally.
In the realm of reflux and foregut surgery he is directing the motility center at Weill Cornell and provides a multidisciplinary approach to the management of reflux, esophageal, and gastric dysmotility.
During his time at Weill Cornell he has gained expertise in robotic surgery and performs over a 150 robotic procedures a year. Using this technique he is able to perform complex surgery for benign and malignant gastric and esophageal conditions. He has also performed reoperative surgery using this technique and avoided the need for open surgery reducing patients hospitalization and time to return to their regular activity.
Dr. Zarnegar after completing medical school trained in General Surgery at Case Western Reserve University. After his residency he went on to complete two fellowships in Endocrine Surgery, and minimally invasive foregut surgery at the University of California, San Francisco.
During residency and fellowship Dr. Zarnegar developed an interest in the science of tumor redifferentiation and completed a postdoctoral research fellowship using poorly differentiated thyroid cancer as a model. He is widely published in the field of Cancer and Surgery with over 50 peer reviewed articles and 5 book chapters. He has presented his research at numerous national and international meetings.
He belongs to many prominent societies including:
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Society of Surgical Oncology
Surgical Society of the Alimentary Tract
Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Swallowing Disorder
- Endocrine Surgery
- Esophageal Disease
- Esophageal Disorder
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
- Robotic Surgery
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Disorder of Adrenal Gland
- Adrenal Surgery
- Gallbladder and Biliary Diseases
- Minimally Invasive Parathyroid Surgery
- Endocrine Tumor
- Gallbladder Surgery
- Gastric Cancer
- Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Parathyroid Disease
- Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Parathyroid Surgery
- Thyroid Surgery
- Thyroid Cancer
- Adrenal Laparoscopic Surgery
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Surgery
- Endocrine Cancer
- Esophageal Surgery
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Oxford Health Plans [Metro/Core/Charter]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 1999
Honors and Awards
In 2012, Dr. Zarnegar was named "Top Doctor in NY Metro Area" by Castle Connolly
In 2002, Dr. Zarnegar won the Best Resident Research Award at the American Association of Endocrine Surgery meeting.
Associate Professor of Surgery
Weill Cornell Medical College
Associate Attending Surgeon
What are Thyroid Nodules: