Peter M. Okin, M.D.
My professional focus as a cardiologist is on electrocardiography and exercise testing. In my roles as Director of Clinical Affairs in the Division of Cardiology and Director of the Cardiac Graphics Laboratory I have the opportunity to participate in the selection and training of our fellows and to focus my research on computerized signal-processing of the electrocardiogram for improved detection and risk stratification of patients with heart disease. I have been fortunate to spend my entire professional career at Weill-Cornell and to have the opportunity to work with an outstanding group of cardiologists.
Specialties and Expertise
- Exercise Testing
- Cardiac Graphics
Dr. Peter M. Okin is a Professor of Medicine, Director of Clinical Affairs and Director of the Cardiac Graphics Laboratory in the Division of Cardiology of the Department of Medicine at Weill Cornell.
Dr. Okin completed his undergraduate education at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1976, obtaining a degree in chemistry. He completed his medical education at Cornell University Medical College in 1980, remaining at The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center for his residency in Internal Medicine from 1980 to 1983 and for his fellowship in Cardiology from 1983 to 1986. Dr. Okin joined the faculty in the Division of Cardiology at Cornell Medical College in 1986 and has remained on faculty at Weill-Cornell since that time.
Dr. Okin's primary area of interest is in electrocardiography. He is committed to the development of new methods for improving diagnosis and risk stratification using the rest and exercise electrocardiogram and has published extensively in these areas. He has been a dedicated teacher of electrocardiography for over 20 years and actively participates in the administration of the Cardiology Fellowship Program and in the clinical programs of the Division of Cardiology. He is a member of numerous societies, including the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology, serves on numerous national committees and on the editorial boards of a number of journals.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Co-Chair of 2005 American College of Cardiology Scientific Programs
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Cardiovascular Disease)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Cornell University Medical College, 1980
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.