Locations and Appointments
- Parathyroid Disease
- Metabolic Bone Disease
- Thyroid Disease
- Endocrine Conditions In Pregnancy
- Adrenal Gland Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.B.,B.S., University of Athens, Faculty of Medicine (Greece), 2001
I am an endocrinologist with expertise in a wide spectrum of hormonal disorders. My special focus is the evaluation and treatment of patients with osteoporosis, metabolic bone disease and parathyroid, calcium and phosphate disorders. I also care for patients with thyroid, adrenal and pituitary diseases, complicated type 2 diabetes and endocrine disorders in pregnancy. I strongly believe in patient-centered medicine, aiming to achieve and maintain optimal health and well-being through the involvement of my patients in mutual decision-making and inclusive communication. My passions are teaching the future generation of physicians and raising awareness in the community on prevention, screening and management of endocrine diseases.
Dr Panagiota Andreopoulou is an physician in the Division of Endocrinology of Weill Cornell Medicine and an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Weill Cornell Medical College. Prior to these appointments she held positions at the Hospital for Special Surgery and at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center.
She is board-certified in Internal Medicine and in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, and is a certified Clinical Densitometrist for the accurate interpretation of Bone Mineral Density. Her clinical and academic interests include osteoporosis, calcium and phosphate metabolism and metabolic bone disorders as well as general endocrinology.
Dr. Andreopoulou received her Medical Degree at the University of Athens Medical School in Greece. Following her residency in Internal Medicine at New York Hospital Queens/Weill Cornell Medical College, she completed her Endocrinology fellowship at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland, where she trained at the National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) and the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR). She conducted clinical research at the Skeletal Clinical Studies Unit of the Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch of NIDCR. Her research focused on FGF23 (fibroblast growth factor 23) regulation, tumor-induced osteomalacia (TIO), hypoparathyroidism and polyostotic fibrous dysplasia (PFD). She worked on clinical research protocols evaluating the utility of selective venous sampling and functional imaging in the management of tumor-induced osteomalacia and the effects of the treatment of hypoparathyroidism with synthetic human PTH (parathyroid hormone) on bone parameters. These resulted in publications in peer-reviewed journals and an Endocrine Award for Oral Presentation. At Montefiore and at the Hospital for Special Surgery Dr Andreopoulou was an associate investigator in multiple clinical research trials on therapies for neuroendocrine tumors and elucidation of factors affecting bone quality respectively.
Dr Andreopoulou is a member of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, the Endocrine Society, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American College of Physicians and the American Medical Women’s Association.
Dr Andreopoulou produces and hosts an interactive weekly broadcast at the Hellenic Public Radio on health and wellness issues.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- The Endocrine Society Clinical Fellows Abstract Award for Oral Presentation, 2010
- Leadership100 Endowment Fund Archbishop Iakovos Award for Excellence in Medicine, 2015
- Woman of the Year 2016: The National Herald. In recognition of her focus on education of the Greek community on medical issues