Natalia S. Ivascu, M.D.
Dr. Natalia Ivascu is an Associate Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology. She cares for patients as a Cardiac Anesthesiologist and Critical Care Intensivist in the Cardiothoracic Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
Dr. Ivascu completed her undergraduate studies in Cellular and Molecular Biology at the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor. She went on to earn her medical degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan. She began her career at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Medical College as a resident in Anesthesiology. Dr. Ivascu completed an additional year of fellowship training at Cornell, in Cardiovascular Anesthesiology. She then spent a year at the Columbia University campus of NYP as a fellow in Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Ivascu is board certified in Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine. She is also a Diplomate of the American Board of Echocardiography, with certification in Advanced Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography. She is an expert in pulmonary hypertension and is the Director of the Pulmonary Hypertension Anesthesiology team.
Dr. Ivascu is also the Director of Liver Transplant Anesthesiology, Pre-Anesthesia testing and the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
Meltzer EC, Ivascu NS, Acres CA, Furman, RR, Fins JJ. Venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: a bridge to chemotherapy. The Oncologist. 2014 Aug 5.
Meltzer EC, Ivascu NS, Fins JJ. DNR and ECMO: A Paradox Worth Exploring. J Clin Ethics 2014; 25 (1); 13-9.
McGlothlin D, Ivascu NS, Heerdt PM. Pulmonary Hypertension and Anesthesia. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2012 Sept; 55(2): 199-217.
Ivascu N, Skubas N. Aortic Intramural Hematoma: Echocardiographic Characteristics. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2012 Feb; 114(2):286-8.
Salemi A, Lee B, Ivascu N, Webber G, Paul S. An unusual case of cardiac tamponade: ruptured subaortic diverticulum. J Card Surg, 2010 May;25(3):349-50. Epub 2010 Mar 19.
Chambers TA, Bagai A, Ivascu N. Current trends in coronary artery disease in women. Current Opinions in Anaesthesiology, 2008 (10): 75-82.
Skubas N, Brown NI, Mishra R. Diagnostic Dilemma: A Pacemaker Lead Inside the Left Atrium or an Echocardiographic Beam Width Artifact? Anesthesia & Analgesia, 2006; 102: 1043-4.
Brown NI, Mack PF, Mitera DM, Dhar P. Use of the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway in a pregnant patient with a difficult airway during electroconvulsive therapy. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2003 Nov;91(5):752-4.
Ivascu N, Sarnaik I, McCrae J, Thomas R, Whitten-Shurney W, Bond S. Characteristics of pica prevalence among patients with sickle cell disease. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 2001 Nov; 155(11): 1243-7.
Books, Book Chapters and Reviews
Ivascu N and Flynn B. “Anesthesia and Airway Management During Ablation” in Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Saksena S, Editor. In press
Ivascu NS and Hartman GS. “Anesthesia for Valvular Heart Disease” in Yao & Artusio’s Anesthesiology: Problem-Oriented Patient Management. 2012
Ivascu NS. Book Review of Principles and Practice of Pharmacology for Anaesthetists. Anesthesiology, 2009 June; 110(6): 1433.
Honors and Awards
Excellence in Teaching Award, for Anesthesia Clerkship 2011. Weill Cornell Medical College
- Vascular Surgery Anesthesia
- Cardiothoracic Anesthesia
- Critical Care (Intensivists)
- Surgical Critical Care
- Liver Transplant
- Anesthesia For Liver Transplant Recipient
- Cardiovascular Critical Care
- Anesthesia For Procedure on Heart, Pericardial Sac, and Great Vessels of Chest
- Liver Transplantation
- Transesophageal Echocardiography
- Perioperative Assessment
- Anesthesia For Bloodless Surgery
- Critical Care Medicine
- B.S., University of Michigan, 1997
- M.D., Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2001