Helping a patient develop from a small newborn into a thriving infant and child is one of the most rewarding experiences a physician can have. It is my privilege to care for sick newborns and to attend to their -- and their family's -- special needs. I have particular interests in neonatal global health, in counseling at extreme prematurity, and in disaster preparedness in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Neonatology
- Newborn Medicine
Michael Espiritu, MD is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics in the Division of Newborn Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine and Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College and the NYP Phyllis and David Komansky Children's Hospital. He is board certified in Pediatrics and in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine.
Dr. Epspiritu completed his undergraduate degree at Harvard University where he received a Bachelor of Arts (A.B.) in Psychology. He earned his medical degree (M.D.) from Weill Cornell Medical College, and went on to complete his residency in Pediatrics and a fellowship in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Following fellowship training, Dr. Espiritu served as Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at NYU School of Medicine, where he also served as Associate Program Director of the Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellowship, and Attending Neonatologist at NYU Langone Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital Center.
His academic interests include neonatal global health, physician bias in counseling at extreme prematurity, and disaster preparedness in the NICU.
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics (Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2005
- A.B., Harvard University, 2001
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported