Maria Spinelli, ANP-BC is an Adult Nurse Practitioner specializing in pulmonary disease within the Division of Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine. Maria has been working with patients as a Nurse Practitioner for over twenty years. She is passionate about patient education and the importance of advocating for patients to ensure they receive the highest level of quality care available today.
Maria works directly with patients admitted to New York Presbyterian – Weill Cornell Medical College who have been diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). As the COPD navigator, Maria serves as a resource for this vulnerable population to ensure they receive the appropriate education and resources upon discharge.
The goal of the program is to improve the patient experience of care with a focus on quality and patient satisfaction. The COPD Navigator program uses a team based approach to improve the overall health of the COPD population. By delivering the highest quality care, the patient experiences reduced length of stay within the hospital system and is discharged with all of the resources necessary to prevent hospital readmission.
Maria has been involved in health care advocacy for both patients and providers on the national level for many years. Over the past decade, she has held various leadership roles within the American College of Cardiology and presently serves on the ACC’s National Leadership Council for Cardiovascular Team Members.
Maria earned her undergraduate degree from Georgetown University and received her master’s degree as a Nurse Practitioner from the University of Pennsylvania. She was a Hillman scholar at the University of Pennsylvania.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Staff Associate in Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Nurse Practitioner - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.S., University of Pennsylvania, 1998
- B.S.N., Georgetown University, 1993
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY