I am dedicated to the surgical and medical management of women’s cancer and also committed to advancing clinical and translational research in this field, with a focus on cancer genetics including hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (BRCA1/2) and Lynch syndrome.
Specialties and Expertise
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncologist
- Uterine Cancer
- Cervical Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Vaginal Cancer
- Robotic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Vulvar Cancer
- Endometrial Cancer
Dr. Melissa Frey is an Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the division of gynecologic oncology at Weill Cornell Medicine. Dr. Frey graduated magna cum laude from Duke University and earned her medical degree from Weill Cornell Medical College, graduating with honors in research. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Weill Cornell Medicine / NewYork-Presbyterian. She subsequently completed her fellowship in gynecologic oncology at New York University Langone Medical Center.
Dr. Frey specializes in all aspects of gynecologic oncology including surgical management and chemotherapy for cancers of the uterus, ovary, cervix, vulva and vagina. She is extensively trained in minimally invasive surgical approaches using laparoscopic and robotic platforms for gynecologic cancer and complex benign gynecologic conditions.
Dr. Frey has received numerous awards for her clinical excellence, surgical expertise and medical research, including the Siegel Family Faculty Development Prize, Sarnoff Research Foundation Fellowship, Alan von Kreuter Cancer Research Prize, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Outstanding Laparoendoscopic Resident Surgeon Award, Special Resident in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Award, Jerome E. Seiler Memorial Superior Skill in Advanced Gynecologic Surgery Award and multiple teaching awards.
Dr. Frey’s research focuses on genetics and genomics in gynecologic cancer. She has presented her research at national and international meetings and has more than 50 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Much of her research has focused on genetic syndromes that predispose to gynecologic cancer including hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (BRCA1/BRCA2) and Lynch syndrome.
Dr. Frey is also committed to providing treatment to underserved populations internationally. She has traveled to Central America, South America and Africa to provide basic health care and surgical management for gynecologic disease.
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (Gynecologic Oncology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.S., Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences of Cornell University, 2022
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2009
- B.A., Duke University, 2004
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- * Affinity Access
- * Affinity Health Plan
- * AgeWell New York
- * Amida Care
- * Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- * Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- * Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- * Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- * United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- * WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported