Mehraneh D. Jafari, M.D.
Colon and Rectal Surgery
My goal as a surgeon is to bring world class care to my patients. I believe that getting to know the patient’s goals which directly help our elite multidisciplinary team of oncologist, radiation oncologist and gastroenterologist towards precision medicine that will allow for goal directed therapy with minimal impact on quality of life.
Specialties and Expertise
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Colon Cancer
- Rectal Cancer
- HIPEC (Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy)
- Anal Cancer
- Rectal Surgery
- Robot-Assisted Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Complex Pelvic Surgery
- Intestinal Fistula Surgery
- Recurrent Colorectal Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colon/Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Complex Anal Fistula Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Bowel-Sparing Strictureplasty
- Crohn's Disease
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Diverticular Disease
- Rectal Prolapse
- Anal Fistula
- Bowel Dysfunction
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Pelvic Surgery
- Hemorrhoid Surgery
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Surgery For Ulcerative Colitis
- Bowel Obstruction
- Anal Fissure
- Computer Assisted Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery
Mehraneh Dorna Jafari, MD, is Associate Professor of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and Chief of Colorectal Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital. She is the director of clinical research in the department of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical Center. She is board-certified in general surgery and colon and rectal surgery. Dr. Jafari specializes in the comprehensive care of colorectal cancer patients, patients with peritoneal surface disease as well as those patients with benign colorectal disease.
Dr Jafari works with a world-renowned group of multidisciplinary specialists to help promote a patient centered treatment plan for her patients, including radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, gastroenterologists, and interventional radiologists. Her goal is to provide precision medicine to patients that is safe and effective.
Dr. Jafari has expertise in minimal access techniques, including laparoscopic, and robotic surgery. In addition, she has special interests in sphincter preserving surgery (helping rectal cancer patients avoid a permanent ostomy), maintaining fertility in cancer patients, and improving quality of life and bowel function after rectal surgery. Dr Jafari has been at forefront of research with regards to improving outcomes using enhanced recovery and narcotic sparing protocols.
Dr. Jafari is among a small number of surgeons who offers surgery for metastatic colon, appendiceal and peritoneal surface disease. She utilizes cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), which involves heated chemotherapy applied directly within the abdominal cavity following removal of cancerous tumors.
Dr. Jafari’s clinical research focuses on quality of life and oncological outcomes for colorectal cancer patients. Her main area of expertise is starting chemotherapy earlier in cancer treatment to allow patients to recover their quality of life sooner.
Dr. Jafari has written extensively and published in many major journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Annals of Surgery, and the Journal of the American College of Surgeons. She has led numerable courses teaching surgeons around the country how to perform minimal invasive surgery.
Dr. Jafari is actively involved in many national Surgical and Oncologic Societies, including the American College of Surgeons, Society of Surgical Oncologists, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and Association of Women Surgeons.
Dr. Jafari completed her general surgical residency at University of California, Irvine and her Colorectal fellowship at NYP Weill Cornell/Columbia & Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. She then was appointed the as Director Education for the Department of Surgery and Associate program Director of Colon and Rectal Surgery at University of California, Irvine prior to joining Weill Cornell.
- American Board of Colon & Rectal Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Attending Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian/Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery (Interim) - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Drexel University College of Medicine, 2009
- B.S., University of California, Irvine, 2004
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported