You are here
I have always had a strong desire to work with children with chronic conditions. I realized early in my training that by pursuing a career in pediatric endocrinology, I would combine my passion for science with helping children with chronic illness, serving as both their advocate and teacher. The key to successful medical care is developing patient-physician relationships, individualized for each family, with mutual understanding, communication and respect. Providing medical treatment to children and adolescents during their most critical years of development and growth has been extremely rewarding in my life.
Specialties & Expertise
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Childhood Obesity
- Metabolic Bone Disease
- Short Stature
- Growth Disorder
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Irregular Menstrual Cycle
- Thyroid Disorder
- Pediatric Osteoporosis
- Bariatric Surgery
- Pubertal Disorders
- Metabolic Syndrome
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare Health Plans
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Pediatrician
Education & Training
- M.D., Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 2007
- B.S., Fordham University, 2003
Honors & Awards
- 2013 Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Grant, Washington, D.C.
- 2012 Endocrine Trainee Day, Endocrine Society Meeting, Houston, TX
- 2012 Pediatric Endocrine Society Spring Retreat, Boston, MA
- 2012 Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Grant, Boston, MA
- 2011 Endocrine Society Clinical Investigators’ Workshop, San Francisco, CA
- 2011 ASBMR President’s Poster Competition Award at American Society for Bone & Mineral Research (ASBMR) Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2011 EFF/ASBMR Fifth Fellows Forum on Metabolic Bone Diseases, San Diego, CA.
- 2011 Endocrine Fellows Foundation Preceptorship in Metabolic Bone Diseases, New York, NY.
- 2006 Bedrick Pediatric Medical Student Research Scholarship
- 2004 Dr. M. Elaine Eyster Scholarship in Medicine
Dr. Marisa Censani is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Assistant Attending Pediatrician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and Director of the Pediatric Obesity Program at the NYP/Komansky Center and Weill Cornell Medicine. She is board certified in Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology and in Obesity Medicine.
Dr. Censani received a B.S. in Biology from Fordham University in Bronx, New York, graduating summa cum laude. She received her medical degree (M.D.) from Penn State College of Medicine where she was the recipient of the Bedrick Pediatric Medical Student Research Scholarship and completed both her internship and residency at Weill Cornell Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York. After residency, she remained in New York City and completed a fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Columbia University Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Censani’s professional areas of interest and expertise include pediatric obesity, bone and mineral metabolism, growth, and diabetes. During her fellowship, she was involved in several obesity and bone mineral metabolism related patient oriented research studies, including the effects of bariatric surgery and weight loss on adolescent bone health, and was the recipient of a 2012 Clinical Research Grant from the Genentech Center for Clinical Research in Endocrinology. She has published original articles in peer-reviewed journals pertaining to her research and has presented her work at both national and international conferences. Dr. Censani was one of three featured speakers in the 2012 Endocrine Society Annual Meeting news conference on vitamin D and her research has been reported in numerous media outlets, including Clinical Endocrinology News, Science News, and Science Daily.
DR. CENSANI IN THE NEWS
- [Endocrine News, July 2017]: An Ounce of Prevention: New Studies Look at Childhood Obesity
- [Medscape, 4/3/17]: Low Vitamin D Tied to CV Problems in Kids -- Improving Vitamin D Status May Reduce Cardiometabolic Risk
- [VIDEO: NY1] Fit Kids: Families Learn to Tame Kids' Taste Buds