Matthew D. Nguyen, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- General Ophthalmology
- Anterior Segment Surgery
- Cataract Surgery
- Comprehensive Eye Exam
- Corneal Disease
- Corneal Transplant
- Dry Eye Syndrome
- Refractive Surgery
Matthew D. Nguyen, MD, is a board certified fellowship trained ophthalmologist with an interest in cataract surgery, corneal transplant surgery including Descemet’s membrane endothelial keratoplasty (DMEK) and Descemet’s stripping endothelial keratoplasty (DSEK), refractive surgery, anterior segment surgery, and general ophthalmologic practice. He provides comprehensive eye exams for corneal conditions, cataracts, diabetes, dry eye, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. He is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medicine and Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine.
Dr. Nguyen was born in Virginia and grew up in New York and New Jersey. He graduated from Columbia University in New York with a BA in Neuroscience and Behavior. He remained in New York for his MD at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he was awarded the Behrens Memorial Prize in Ophthalmology. He received his ophthalmology residency training at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was given the Distinguished Housestaff Award. Following residency, he completed a cornea fellowship at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. He was in private practice in the Boston area prior to returning to Cornell.
Dr. Nguyen is currently accepting new patients; appointments can be made by calling (646) 962-2020.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
• Distinguished Housestaff Award. 2016.
• Award for Excellence in Ambulatory Medicine. 2013.
• The Behrens Memorial Prize in Ophthalmology. 2013.
• AHA Student Scholarship in Cardiovascular Disease & Stroke. 2009.
• Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Short-Term Institutional Research Training Grant (T35). 2009.
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2013
- B.A., Columbia University, 2007
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported