Maria Teaiwa-Rutherford, M.D.
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Specialties and Expertise
- General Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Family Planning
- Planning for Pregnancy
- Prenatal Care
Dr. Maria Teaiwa-Rutherford is a board-certified Obstetrician-Gynecologist and Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Teaiwa-Rutherford obtained a Bachelor of Science from Santa Clara University and earned her medical degree at Columbia University's Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons. She then completed a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where she served as chief resident.
Before joining Weill Cornell in 2021, Dr. Teaiwa-Rutherford developed a thriving practice at St. Lukes-Roosevelt (later Mount Sinai West), where she felt privileged to be a part of many women’s lives through routine gynecological care, family planning, to pregnancy and beyond. Dr. Teaiwa-Rutherford was named a Top Doctor in the New York Magazine rising stars issue two years in a row and also received the Vitals Patients' Choice award. Born and raised in the Fiji Islands, Dr. Teaiwa-Rutherford has a strong interest in promoting women's health in developing countries. She has partnered with international medical programs to provide free obstetrics and gynecology care to women at hospitals in Fiji and Kiribati. In her spare time Dr. Teaiwa-Rutherford enjoys running and yoga. She lives in Westchester County with her husband and three children.
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2002
- B.S., Santa Clara University, 1998
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- GHI - CBP
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported