I have been in Ophthalmology for over 20 years, and still find something new to see or learn every day. I practice a mix of comprehensive Ophthalmology with a subspecialty in glaucoma care. This allows me to follow people for years, both for their general eye health, as well as the more complex issues of glaucoma care. I try to make every patient visit enjoyable and as stress-free as the situation allows. My goal is to not simply address a patient's ocular issues, be it medically or surgically, but their global well-being, as well.
Specialties and Expertise
- Anterior Segment Surgery
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
Dr. Rafla-Demetrious is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Weill Cornell Medicine. She received a B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and received her M.D. from SUNY Downstate, graduating with the distinct honor of Summa Cum Laude.
Dr. Rafla-Demetrious did her medical internship at St. Vincent’s Medical Center in N.Y.C, New York. Thereafter, she began her Ophthalmology residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York City in 1994. She then remained there to continue her Fellowship in Glaucoma. Upon completion, she joined the Department of Ophthalmology at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College as an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology in 2000.
Dr. Rafla-Demetrious’s clinical practice specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma and anterior segment diseases.
Dr. Rafla Demetrious received honors from the Alpha Omega Alpha (AΩA) in 1991.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Dr. Rafla Demetrious received honors from the Alpha Omega Alpha (AΩA) in 1991
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 1993
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported