I believe that effective medical care requires a comprehensive patient evaluation in a comfortable and friendly environment. I take the time to listen to my patients, making sure their needs are met and their concerns are addressed. I always try to explain medical complexities in understandable terms, and I work hard to ensure the best possible results. I am surrounded by staff and colleagues who share the same commitment. I'm excited to be part of a department that not only delivers excellent care, but also contributes to advances in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism.
Specialties and Expertise
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
- Bariatric Medicine (Weight Loss)
- Weight Loss
- Metabolic Syndrome
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
- Insulin Resistance
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Post Bariatric Surgery
- Thyroid Disorder
Leon I. Igel, MD, FACP, FTOS is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College, and an Attending Endocrinologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is Director of the West Side division of the Comprehensive Weight Control Center, as well as Program Director for Weill Cornell's Obesity Medicine and Obesity Medicine/Bariatric Endoscopy fellowships.
Dr. Igel specializes in the care of patients with obesity and a broad spectrum of associated endocrine conditions. Dr. Igel's primary areas of expertise include: Weight management, post-bariatric surgery care (including treatment of inadequate weight loss or weight regain after surgery), type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and disorders of the thyroid (hypothyroidism).
Dr. Igel was born and raised in New York City. For high school he attended Trinity School in Manhattan. He then graduated with honors from Tufts University, and was subsequently accepted into the Harvard University Health Careers Program, ultimately receiving a diploma in Premedical Studies.
Dr. Igel graduated from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine with an M.D. degree with special distinction in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism. He completed his Internal Medicine residency at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he served as ambulatory chief resident. He subsequently completed a combined Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism fellowship at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and the Hospital for Special Surgery.
Dr. Igel is board certified in Internal Medicine, Obesity Medicine, and Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism.
He has lectured and published broadly on the topics of obesity medicine, pharmacotherapy for the treatment of obesity, and obesity-associated endocrine conditions. He is a fellow of The Obesity Society (FTOS), and a fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP).
Dr. Igel has been selected by his peers to New York Super Doctors® Rising Stars for 2018, 2019 and 2020. While approximately 5% of the physicians within their respective states are named to Super Doctors, no more than 2.5% are named to the Rising Stars list.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Director, West Side division of the Comprehensive Weight Control Center
Program Director, Obesity Medicine Fellowship
Program Director, Obesity Medicine / Bariatric Endoscopy Fellowship
New York Super Doctors Rising Stars 2018, 2019, 2020
Diplomat of the American Board of Obesity Medicine
Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP)
Fellow of The Obesity Society (FTOS)
Obesity Medicine Education Collaborative (OMEC) Publication
Dr. Robert C. & Veronica Atkins Foundation Research Scholarship
Albert Einstein Senior Research Fellowship
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism)
- American Board of Obesity Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 2010
- B.A., Tufts University, 2002
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare