Locations and Appointments
- Internal Medicine Specialist
- Weight Management
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Insulin Resistance
- Education About Prediabetes
- Nutritional Counseling
- Exercise Counseling
- Pharmacologic Therapy
- Internal Medicine
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2011
- B.A., Dartmouth College, 2004
During my training as one of the first Obesity Medicine fellows in the country, I developed a specialized foundation in the complexities of obesity. By employing the most cutting-edge treatments, I have been successful in helping hundreds of patients lose weight and maintain weight loss. An integral part of my practice is providing compassionate and empathetic care to my patients. Not only do I explain the pathophysiology of obesity as a disease, but I also review the latest research in different treatment modalities to develop a comprehensive, individualized management plan. As weight maintenance is often more challenging than initial weight loss, a close relationship with long-term follow up is a crucial component of my practice. I am fortunate to work in a collaborative environment where we perform innovative research, provide evidence-based care and educate the next generation of clinicians.
Katherine H. Saunders, MD, DABOM is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Physician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Saunders specializes in the care of patients with obesity and weight-related medical complications.
Dr. Saunders received her undergraduate degree Phi Beta Kappa/Summa Cum Laude from Dartmouth College with a BA in Religion and Engineering. She then spent two years as a research assistant at Rockefeller University in the Laboratory of Cellular Biophysics under the supervision of Sanford M. Simon, PhD, and in the Laboratory of Cell Biology (HHMI) under the supervision of Günter Blobel, MD, PhD.
Dr. Saunders received her medical degree from Weill Cornell Medical College, where she became a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. She went on to complete her internship and residency training in Internal Medicine (Primary Care) at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine. She served as Ambulatory Chief Resident of Weill Cornell Internal Medicine Associates during her third year.
Dr. Saunders was the first Clinical Fellow in Obesity Medicine at the Comprehensive Weight Control Center at Weill Cornell Medicine, where she trained under the supervision of Louis J. Aronne, MD, FACP, FTOS, DABOM.
Dr. Saunders is a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM). She is a member of The Obesity Society (TOS). She serves on TOS's Clinical and CME Oversight Committees as well as ABOM's Journal Article Review Recertification Pathway Committee. She gives lectures and has published several peer-reviewed articles on pharmacotherapy for obesity.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- GHI - CBP
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha, 2011
Henry Adelman Memorial Award for Excellence in Geriatric Medicine, 2011
Barbara Slifka International Fellowship, 2011
Phi Beta Kappa, 2004
Summa Cum Laude, 2004