John Mahlstedt, M.D.
I am an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Assistant Attending Psychiatrist on the inpatient adolescent unit at NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester Behavioral Health Center. I specializein both adult, and child and adolescent psychiatry and provide comprehensive evaluations and consultations for both psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. I take a comprehensive, individualized, thoughtful and evidenced based approach in order to provide the best possible care to each of my patients.
Specialties and Expertise
- Adult Psychiatry
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Supportive Psychotherapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- College Age Mental Health
- Young Adult Mental Health
- Work Related Problems
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Panic Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Medication Management
Dr. John Mahlstedt attended Union College where he obtained a bachelor of arts in managerial economics and graduated Summa Cum Laude and was selected for the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. There he earned numerous other honors, including awards for academic excellence and service to the college community. He then went on to earn his Medical Degree from the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, where he earned an award for his research work and earned honors in various clerkships for clinical excellence, including psychiatry. Dr. John Mahlstedt then went on to complete his internship and residency in adult psychiatry at NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Medical Center and served as Chief Resident during his last year of residency. Dr. Mahlstedt then went on to complete fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at both of the Cornell and Columbia campuses of NewYork-Presbyterian hospital. During his fellowship, Dr. Mahlstedt earned the Edward J Sachar Award for excellence inclinical care. Dr. Mahlstedt welcomes patients to his practice for diagnostic evaluations, consultations, psychotherapy and medication management.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
• Edward J Sachar Award for excellence in clinical care, 2021
• Chief Resident in psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center 2018 - 2019
• Sigma Xi Research Honor Society Appointment, 2014
• Presidential Meritorious Service Award, Union College, 2010
• Phi Beta Kappa, Union College, 2010
• Omnicron Delta Kappa Leadership and Honors Society, Union College, 2010
• Omnicron Delta Epsilon Economic Honor Society, Union College, 2010
• Lee and William Wrubel Memorial Prize, Union College, 2010
• Elias Peissner Prize, Union College, 2010
• Harold and Ellen Nagorsky Memorial Prize, Union college, 2010
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Psychiatry)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Psychiatrist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 2015
- B.A., Union College, 2010
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.