Locations and Appointments
- Liver Pathology
- GI Pathology
- Pulmonary Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology
- Gastrointestinal Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Attending Pathologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education & Training
- M.D., National Autonomous University of Mexico, Faculty of Medicine (Mexico), 1978
My main goal since I started practicing Surgical Pathology is to provide high quality diagnostic services. My areas of interest are gastrointestinal, liver and pulmonary pathology. Daily microscopic observations of tissues obtained from patients with a variety of inflammatory and neoplastic diseases make me realize the numerous unanswered questions we still have about common disorders. My goal is to help treat these patients not only by adequately identifying their conditions but also through a better understanding of the pathogenesis of these disorders using tissue-based techniques. The large number of patients that we take care of at New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical College and the critical intellectual power that exists in this Institution provides a unique environment to fulfill these goals.
Jessurun J, Yardley JH, Giardiello FM, et al: Chronic colitis with thickening of the subepithelial collagen layer (collagenous colitis). Human Pathol, 1987;8:838-848.
Jessurun J, Bolio-Solis A, Manivel JC. Diffuse lymphoplasmacytic acalculous cholecystitis. A distinctive form of chronic cholecystitis associated with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Hum Pathol 28:512-517, 1988
Lazenby AJ, Yardley JH, Giardiello FM, Jessurun J, Bayless TM: Lymphocytic (“Microscopic”) Colitis. Human Pathol 1989;20:18-28.
Rubio CA, Jessurun J, Alonso de Ruiz P: Geographic variations in the histologic characteristics of the gastric mucosa. Am J Clin Pathol 1991;96:330-333
Hertz MI, Jessurun J, King MB, Savik SK, Murray JJ. Reproduction of obliterative bronchiolitis lesion after heterotopic transplantation of mouse airways. Am J Pathol 1993, 142:1945-1951
Al-Dossari GA, Jessurun J, Bolman RM, Kshettry VR, King MB, Murray JJ, Hertz MI. Pathogenesis of Obliterative Bronchiolitis: Possible Roles of PDGF and bFGF. Transplantation 59:143-145, 1995
Schwarzenberg SJ, Wielinski CL, Shamieh I, Carpenter BLM, Jessurun J, Weisdorf SA, Warwick WJ, Sharp HL. Cystic fibrosis -associated colitis and fibrosing colonopathy. J Pediatr 127:565-570, 1995.
Jessurun J, Romero-Guadarrama M, Manivel JC. Medullary Adenocarcinoma of the Colon. Clinicopathologic Study of 11 Cases. Hum Pathol 30:843-848, 1999
Gulbahce HE, Manivel JC, Jessurun J. Pulmonary cytolytic thrombi: a previously unrecognized complication of bone marrow transplantation. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000 Aug;24(8):1147-52.
Gulbahce HE, Brown CA, Wick M, Segall M, Jessurun J. Graft-vs-host disease after solid organ transplant. Am J Clin Pathol. 2003 Apr;119(4):568-73.
Stelow EB, Skeate R, Wahi MM, Langel DJ, Jessurun J. Well-Differentiated Verruco-Cystic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma. A Histologic Variant Strongly Associated with Chronic Immunosuppression. . Am J Clin Pathol. 2003 June 2003, 119:807-810
Aslan DL, Gulbahce E, Pambuccian S, Manivel JC, Jessurun J: Ki67 Immunoreactivity in the Differential Diagnosis of Pulmonary Neuroendocrine Neoplasms in Specimens with Extensive Crush Artifacts. Am J Clin Pathol 2005;123-874-8.
Roychowdhury M, Pambuccian SE, Aslan DL, Jessurun J, Rose AG, Manivel JC, Gulbahce HE. Pulmonary complications after bone marrow transplantation: an autopsy study from a large transplantation center. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005;129:366-71.
Nguyen T, Shepela C, Patnaik M, Jessurun J. Pulmonary nodules as an extra-intestinal manifestation of inflammatory bowel disease: a case series and review of the literature.Dig Dis Sci. 2009;54(5):1135-40.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans