Specialties and Expertise
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Abnormal Cardiovascular Stress Test
- Abnormal Cardiovascular System Function Study
- Cardiovascular Assessment
- Cardiovascular Education
- Cardiovascular Evaluation
- Cardiovascular Function and Status Assessment
- Cardiovascular Patient Education
I am a cardiologist specializing in the prevention and treatment of heart and vascular disease and management of cardiac risk factors. As a member of the multidisciplinary team at HeartHealth, I work with patients to identify their risk factors for heart disease and develop personalized strategies for lowering their risk of developing heart disease. I have a particular clinical interest in heart disease in women and our comprehensive evaluation at HeartHealth takes into account the important social and biological differences between women and men that contribute to the development of heart disease.
Dr. Peña earned her A.B. degree from Brown University in 1999. She graduated from Weill Cornell Medical College in 2003 where she was elected to the Alpha Omega Honor Society and received the Janet Glasgow Memorial Achievement Award and Joan Severino Prize in Internal Medicine. She also received a Master of Public Health degree with a concentration in Clinical Effectiveness from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2011.
She completed her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medicine, where she also served as an Assistant Chief Resident. Dr. Peña completed a clinical fellowship in Cardiovascular Medicine as well as a research fellowship in the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School. She also completed a non-invasive cardiovascular imaging fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medicine, Dr. Peña was on staff at Montefiore Medical Center as an attending cardiologist (2012-2015) and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Dr. Peña is board certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular medicine, echocardiography and nuclear cardiology. She is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and member of the American Heart Association and American Society of Echocardiography. Her clinical expertise is in general cardiology, cardiovascular disease prevention, heart disease in women, and echocardiography. Cardiovascular prevention has been the theme of her research.
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Nuclear Cardiology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Assistant Professor of Medicine in Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.P.H., Harvard School of Public Health, 2011
- M.D., Cornell University Medical College, 2003
- B.A., Brown University, 1999
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare