Jessica M. Peña, M.D.
I am a cardiologist specializing in the prevention and treatment of heart and vascular disease and management of cardiac risk factors. As a member of the multidisciplinary team at HeartHealth, I work with patients to identify their risk factors for heart disease and develop personalized strategies for lowering their risk of developing heart disease. I have a particular clinical interest in heart disease in women and our comprehensive evaluation at HeartHealth takes into account the important social and biological differences between women and men that contribute to the development of heart disease.
Specialties and Expertise
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Abnormal Cardiovascular Stress Test
- Abnormal Cardiovascular System Function Study
- Cardiovascular Assessment
- Cardiovascular Education
- Cardiovascular Evaluation
- Cardiovascular Function and Status Assessment
- Cardiovascular Patient Education
Dr. Peña earned her A.B. degree from Brown University in 1999. She graduated from Weill Cornell Medical College in 2003 where she was elected to the Alpha Omega Honor Society and received the Janet Glasgow Memorial Achievement Award and Joan Severino Prize in Internal Medicine. She also received a Master of Public Health degree with a concentration in Clinical Effectiveness from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2011.
She completed her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medicine, where she also served as an Assistant Chief Resident. Dr. Peña completed a clinical fellowship in Cardiovascular Medicine as well as a research fellowship in the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School. She also completed a non-invasive cardiovascular imaging fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medicine, Dr. Peña was on staff at Montefiore Medical Center as an attending cardiologist (2012-2015) and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Dr. Peña is board certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular medicine, echocardiography and nuclear cardiology. She is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and member of the American Heart Association and American Society of Echocardiography. Her clinical expertise is in general cardiology, cardiovascular disease prevention, heart disease in women, and echocardiography. Cardiovascular prevention has been the theme of her research.
- American Board of Clinical Lipidology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Cardiovascular Disease)
- National Board of Echocardiography
- Nuclear Cardiology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Professor of Medicine in Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.P.H., Harvard School of Public Health, 2011
- M.D., Cornell University Medical College, 2003
- B.A., Brown University, 1999
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.