Grace Sun, M.D.
156 William Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10038
P: (646) 962-2020 | F: (646) 962-0604
1305 York Avenue, 11th and 12th Floor
New York, NY 10021
P: 646-962-2020 | F: 646-962-0603
Personal StatementComing soon!
- Comprehensive Eye Exam
- Cataract Surgery
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- B.A., Stanford University, 1997
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2005
Honors and Awards
Work in Global Health
Community Health Promoter, Peace Corps, Nicaragua, January 1999- April 2001
ORBIS International, Nairobi, Kenya - Associate Ophthalmologist
Paul Kayser International Fellowship, Trujillo, Peru
Himalayan Cataract Project, Kathmandu, Nepal
» Small Incision Cataract Surgery
Millennium Villages Project (MVP), Tabora, Tanzania, August 2011 - Lead Ophthalmologist
» Collaboration between the United Nations MVP, Himalayan Cataract Project, and Weill Cornell Medical College/Weill Bugando Medical College
Millennium Villages Project (MVP), Tabora, Tanzania, February 2012
» Lead Ophthalmologist – Follow up assessment of post-operative patients
Awards & Honors
- Paul Kayser International Scholar Fellowship Recipient, February 2010, Trujillo, Peru
- ORBIS International, Associate Ophthalmologist, June 2009, Nairobi, Kenya
- National Eye Institute Travel Grant, ARVO 2008
- Edward Norton Prize in Ophthalmology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 2005
- Soros Service Program for Community Health, Open Society Institute, Pre-Clinical Fellow, 2002, Weill Cornell Medical College
Appointments & Committees
New York State Ophthalmological Society, 2012 to Present
» Leadership Development Program
» Board Member
» Alternate Councilor
American Academy of Ophthalmology Young Ophthalmologist (YO) Subcommittee on International Ophthalmology, 2010 to Present
Women in Ophthalmology, New York Chapter
» Co-Chair, 2012 to Present
» Steering committee, 2010 to Present
Chinese American Ophthalmological Society, 2010 to Present
» Mentoring Committee
Kress Vision Foundation, 2009 to Present
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist
Dr. Grace Sun is the Director of the Ophthalmology Clinical Practice at Weill Cornell Medicine - Lower Manhattan at 156 William Street, an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medicine and Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine.
Dr. Sun graduated from Stanford University, with Honors. She later received her M.D. from Weill Medical College of Cornell University, where she was awarded the Edward Norton Prize in Ophthalmology. She completed her ophthalmology residency at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/ Weill Medical College of Cornell University.
As the Program Director for the Ophthalmology Residency at Weill Cornell Medicine, Dr. Sun provides direct supervision and teaching of residents and medical students. She serves on the board of the New York State Ophthalmological Society (NYSOS) and is co-chair of the New York Chapter of Women in Ophthalmology (WIO). Dr. Sun has also been named one of "New York Super Doctors Rising Stars" by the New York Times Magazine.
Dr. Sun has a strong interest in global health. She served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Nicaragua from 1999-2001. She recently served as an associate staff ophthalmologist with ORBIS International, a non profit organization whose mission is to eliminate avoidable blindness in developing countries. She was a 2009 Paul Kayser International Scholar awardee. Currently, Dr. Sun chairs the American Academy of Ophthalmology Young Ophthalmologist International Subcommittee and is involved in establishing international clinical, teaching, and research collaborations. Click here to see a more comprehensive list of Dr. Sun's global efforts.
Dr. Sun works in conjunction with Weill Cornell Medicine Ophthalmology to offer a range of ophthalmic services at 156 William Street, including cataract, cornea and external disease, retinal and vitreous disorders, glaucoma, pediatric ophthalmology, oculoplastics, and neuro-ophthalmology. Furthermore, these services cover the entire range of complexity, from accurate eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions to the most complex intraocular surgeries, such as keratoprosthesis (artificial corneal replacement) and vitreoretinal surgery for diabetic retinopathy or complicated retinal detachment.
Specialties: Comprehensive/General Eye Care Cataract, Cataract Surgery (sutureless surgery, accommodating and multifocal intraocular lens), Corneal Disease, Clinical Research/Clinical Trial , Blurry Vision/Decreased Vision, Dry Eyes, Tearing Eye/Watery Eye, Red Eye, Conjunctivitis.
Dr. Sun is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.
Weill Cornell Eye - Lower Manhattan Location:
Weill Cornell Eye - Lower Manhattan
156 William Street
New York, NY 10038
For appointments, please call (646)-962-2020, or visit http://weillcornelleye.org/.