Specialties and Expertise
- Global Health
Dr. Gunisha Kaur is an anesthesiologist specializing in human rights research. She serves as the Director of the Human Rights Impact Lab, a Medical Director of the Weill Cornell Center for Human Rights, a Stephen M. Kellen Term Member at the Council on Foreign Relations, and a Faculty Fellow at the Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies.
Dr. Kaur’s research interests focus on displaced populations such as migrants, refugees, and asylum seekers. She has used her extensive training and research in neuroscience as an analytical framework to pioneer the study of human rights through scientific methodology. This has involved clinical research and clinical trials on issues such as chronic pain in torture survivors, mental health of children who are displaced, and trafficking of young women and girls in refugee camps. Her innovative research has been supported by competitive awards from the National Institutes of Health, the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research, and Cornell University.
In 2004, she published her first book, Lost in History: 1984 Reconstructed, which documents human rights violations in India, and in 2018 published an interactive, digital textbook, Essentials of Global Health and Human Rights for Physicians.
A graduate of Cornell University and Weill Cornell Medical College, Dr. Kaur completed her anesthesiology residency at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medicine in 2014. She earned an MA in medical anthropology from Harvard University in 2015.
- American Board of Anesthesiology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Anesthesiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.A., Harvard University, 2015
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2010
- B.S., Cornell University, 2006
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported