I am a board certified Anatomic and Clinical pathologist with a subspecialty interest in gastrointestinal and molecular pathology. Prior to joining the faculty of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, I completed medical school at Indiana University and residency training in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine, where I served as Chief Resident. I subsequently pursued subspecialty fellowship training in gastrointestinal pathology and molecular genetic pathology at Weill Cornell. My research interests are focused on the molecular pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of gastrointestinal malignancies. Participation in translational research in training in my early career has resulted in multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at national and departmental conferences.
Specialties and Expertise
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
Dr. Hissong received her B.A. degree in Biochemistry in 2010 from Anderson University in Anderson, IN and her M.D. degree from Indiana University in 2014. Erika completed her Pathology training at Weill Cornell Medicine as a resident and a fellow in Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology in 2020. From 2020-2021, she accepted a position as an Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Michigan, but returned to Weill Cornell Medicine in October 2021 as Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
• Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society (2013)
• Carlton D Nordschow Award, Indiana University School of Medicine (2014)
• Oral Presentation Award, Department of Pathology, Weill Cornell Medicine (2015)
• Travel Award Arthur Purdy Stout Society (2017)
• Distinguished Housestaff NYPH Center Alumni Council Award (2017)
• 40 under Forty Award ASCP (2018)
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology)
- American Board of Pathology (Molecular Genetic Pathology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Pathologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Indiana University, 2014
- B.A., Anderson University, 2010
Insurance Plans Accepted
For relevant information regarding accepted insurances, please contact this provider directly.
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported