Specialties and Expertise
- Medical Oncology
- Precision Medicine
- GI Cancer
- Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors
- Targeted Therapy
- Cancer Clinical Trials
- Liver Cancer
- Cancer of Gallbladder and Bile Ducts
- Pancreas Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Anal Cancer
- Metastatic Cancer to Liver
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- Endocrine Gland Cancer
- Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Adrenal Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
I have always been exquisitely sensitive to the cultural and emotional aspects of being ill. Fortunately, due to innovative treatments as well as a change in the medical mindset, we are now able to approach cancer therapy with a goal of maximizing quality of life while at the same time controlling disease. In many areas of oncology, especially in advanced, difficult to treat cancers and metastatic disease, the key to pursuing therapy is individualizing treatment to the patient's personal ability to withstand therapy. Thinking of cancer as a chronic disease and gearing therapies to be sustainable and effective is among one of my most important goals as I move forward with our clinical research and cancer treatment programs.
Elizabeta Popa M.D. is an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine and Associate Attending Physician on the faculty of Weill Cornell Medical College in the Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology. Dr Popa also serves as a specialist consultant in Hematology-Oncology for the Hospital for Special Surgery.
Dr Popa has a B.A. in Biology from Columbia University and was trained in medicine at well-known institutions in New York including New York Medical College, Northwell Health-Lenox Hill Hospital and earned her specialty diploma in Hematology and Medical Oncology at New York University School of Medicine, graduating in 2005.
Dr Popa has had a career in academic medicine since finishing her fellowship training in 2005, appointed as an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology-Oncology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, after which she came to Weill Cornell Medical College as an Assistant Attending Professor of Medicine in 2007.
Dr Popa practices personalized cancer care of patients with digestive cancers and rare tumors. She has been the lead researcher at Weill Cornell of multiple clinical trials in the fields of head/neck cancer, liver and bile duct cancers as well as rare tumors including sarcomas. Her interests include personalized tailoring of treatment regimens using the latest molecular and genomic profiling of tumors as well as focusing on making cancer treatments tolerable for each individual patient. She also has extensive involvement in clinical research oversight and regulatory affairs and is Chair of the Cancer Institutional Review Board 2.
She is an active member of the Gastrointestinal Oncology- Solid Tumor Program at Weill Cornell Medical College.
As a lifelong New Yorker, Dr Popa has experience in the international and diplomatic communities, having earned an International Baccalaureate Diploma in 1991 after studying at United Nations International School in New York City. Dr Popa had a particular interest in English Literature and Foreign Languages and went on to be a fluent speaker of several languages including French, Italian, and Spanish in addition to her native Romanian.
In addition to her clinical and research activities, Dr. Popa has also been an integral part of the educational program in Hematology-Oncology with extensive involvement in precepting, lectures and clinical mentorship to our Hematology-Oncology Fellowship, Internal Medicine and medical student trainees.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Annual Excellence in Teaching Award in 2012 by WCMC Hematology & Medical Oncology Fellows
Super Doctors 2015-present
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., New York Medical College, 1999
- B.A., Columbia University, 1995
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY