Locations and Appointments
- General Ophthalmology
- Refractive Surgery
- Cataract Surgery
- Corneal Disorder
- Corneal Surgery
- Corneal Disease
- LASIK Surgery
- Dry Eye Syndrome
- Laser Vision Correction
- Laser Vision Correction Surgery
- Clinical Research
- Problems With Sight
- Dry Eyes
- Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) Eye Surgery
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Ophthalmologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Tufts University School of Medicine, 2003
Welcome! When you visit our office at Weill Cornell Medicine, your eye health is my top priority. My entire team is dedicated to providing you with compassionate, personalized eye care. I am a true believer that excellence in performing eye care is derived from both education and experience. My team and I strive to keep current on the latest techniques and standards so we can provide you with the best care and the most optimal results. I offer a variety of general ophthalmology, cornea, and refractive surgery treatments to help restore and maintain your optimal vision health. Some of these eye care services include: comprehensive eye examinations, cataract surgery, LASIK surgery, corneal transplantation, treatment of various corneal diseases, and dry eye. I never take for granted that you have placed a great deal of confidence in me and I look forward to meeting with you.
Edward C. Lai, M.D. is a board certified ophthalmologist and an accomplished ocular surgeon. He is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical College and serves as the Director of the Comprehensive Service and of Clinical Operations. He is also an integral member of the Cornea service and has been named on New York Magazine’s and Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors Lists. Dr. Lai specializes in cataract surgery, laser vision correction (LASIK and PRK), and general eye disease.
After receiving his undergraduate degree with honors in Biology from Brown University, Dr. Lai worked with AmeriCorps prior to attending Tufts University School of Medicine for his medical training. He then completed his internship in general surgery and internal medicine at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Manhattan and his residency in Ophthalmology at the Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital and New York University. Following his residency, he performed additional advanced training in Corneal, Cataract, and Laser Vision Correction surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Lai’s research has focused on ocular surface diseases and cataract surgery and he has authored textbook chapters and peer-reviewed articles on these subjects. He is a gifted educator and has played an integral part in fellow, resident and medical student training. He has been awarded the resident teaching award on three occasions. Dr. Lai has been an invited lecturer at Harvard University’s intensive cataract course, and has also lectured internationally, most recently at the Pan American Ophthalmology Congress and the Asian Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology annual meetings. Dr. Lai has interest in global health and has volunteered on several cataract surgical missions in Tanzania.
Dr. Lai is a diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology and a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons, and is an active member of various professional societies. He is committed to excellence in the provision of a complete range of ophthalmic service. His practice interests include comprehensive ophthalmology, advanced corneal, cataract, and laser vision correction. Dr. Lai is currently accepting new patients; appointments can be made by calling 646-962-2020.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- GHI - CBP
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards