David M. Otterburn, M.D., FACS
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
♦ Virtual Visit: Delivering the same level of world-class care, with exceptional convenience.
David Otterburn, MD, FACS, is an Associate Professor of Surgery in the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Department of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is an Associate Attending Surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center and is the Program Director for the Weill Cornell Medicine and Columbia University Medical Center Combined Plastic Surgery Residency Program of NYPH.
Dr. Otterburn completed board certification in both Plastic and General Surgery. He has additional training and specialization in microvascular surgery for complex reconstructions throughout the body, utilizing 3-D imaging and other state-of-the-art technologies to obtain optimal outcomes. A special focus includes microvascular breast reconstruction with perforator flaps from the abdomen (DIEP), buttocks (SGAP, IGAP) and thigh (PAP) and the study of sensory return in the breast with nerve grafting techniques. He also performs soft tissue reconstruction with osteointegrated implant reconstruction for amputees and targeted muscle reinnervation to decrease nerve pain. His surgical expertise also includes oculoplastic reconstruction and reconstruction following Mohs surgery.
Dr. Otterburn offers his patients aesthetic surgery of the face and body. This included botox, fillers and more invasive surgeries such as face lifts, neck lifts and blepharoplasties. He performs body contouring including liposuction, abdominoplasties, circumferential body lifts, thigh lifts, breast augmentations and breast lifts. His aesthetic goals are tailored to the individual patient, but is looking to provide you with a natural, seamless aesthetic result.
Specialties and Expertise
- Plastic Surgery
- Breast Reconstruction With SIEA Free Flap
- Breast Reconstruction With DIEP Free Flap
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Augmentation
- Plastic Cosmetic Surgery
- Brow Lift
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Body Contouring
- Botox Injection
- Abdominal Plastic Surgery
A board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Otterburn has received numerous honors and awards in academics, teaching and research. He received his B.A. in political science with honors from Rutgers University while entering into the BA/MD program at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. After completing his general surgery residency at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, plastic surgery residency at Emory University and microsurgery fellowship at New York University Medical Center, he joined the faculty at Weill Cornell Medicine in 2011. He served as Associate Program Director for 8 years before assuming the Directorship in 2019. His research interests include outcomes research in breast reconstruction, orthoplastics, neuroplastics, wound healing and peripheral nerve reconstruction.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
New York SuperDoctor: an Honor given to 5% of all New York physicians
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery (Plastic Surgery) - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Education and Training
- M.D., Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2000
- B.A., Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, 1997
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported