I wanted to be a nephrologist before I even wanted to be a doctor. I have been fortunate throughout my career to have had excellent mentors and role models who instilled in me a love for medicine and nephrology. My mission is to help as many people as possible access transplantation and to help those who are transplanted keep their kidneys for as long as they can. I am dedicated to being your partner in the kidney transplantation journey.
Specialties and Expertise
- Adult Nephrology
- Kidney Transplantation
- Transplant Nephrology
- Kidney Transplant
- Transplantation Nephrology
- Transplant, Kidney
- Transplantation Nephrologist
- Transplantation, Kidney
Deirdre L. Sawinski, MD is an Assistant Professor of Medicine (interim) at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Physician at NewYork-Presbyterian. She received her BS in Art History from New York University and her Medical Degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons where she also completed her Internal Medicine residency at Columbia University Medical Center. She trained in Nephrology and Transplant Nephrology at Mount Sinai Hospital. Upon completion of her clinical training, Dr. Sawinski joined the faculty at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine as an Assistant Professor of Medicine and was promoted in 2019 to Associate Professor of Medicine. In 2015 she was appointed as Assistant Medical Director at Penn Transplant Institute, Kindey/Pancreas Transplant Program.
Dr. Sawinski has established herself as a productive clinician and researcher; she is recognized in the transplant nephrology community as an outstanding transplant physician-scientist.
Dr. Sawinski has chaired multiple committees of the American Society of Nephrology and the American Society of Transplant (AST) including: the AST Women's Health Community of Practice; AST Fellowship Accreditation Program Committee and Board of Managers; Co-Chair AST Fellows' Symposium Program and Clinical Co-Chair for the AST Research Network Scientific Review Committee.
A productive scholar, she currently has five active NIH grants and has published more than 65 peer reviewed research articles.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Nephrology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2003
- B.A., New York University, 1999
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported