David Alan Behrman, D.M.D.
David Behrman, D.M.D., is the Chief of the Division of Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He is an Associate Professor of Surgery (Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial) at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Behrman is an Associate Attending Surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, which is ranked number 1 quality hospital in NYC by US News and World Report.
A nationally-renowned, board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Behrman practices the full scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery, with a special interest in orthognathic and maxillofacial reconstructive surgery, minimally-invasive and open temporomandibular joint reconstructive surgery, oral and maxillofacial pathology and, as co-director of the Weill Cornell Dental Implant Center, state-of-the-art dental implantation.
The Division includes over 60 voluntary and full-time faculty representing all fields of dentistry. The Division supports residency training programs in general dentistry and oral and maxillofacial surgery. He currently serves as Chairman of the NewYork-Presbyterian/ Weill Cornell Medical Center Committee on Human Rights in Research.
For more information on Dr. Behrman and the services offered by Weill Cornell Dental Associates, click below: www.cornellsurgery.org/patients/services/dentistry-oral-maxillofacial/index.html
- Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Surgery
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)
- Dental Implant
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Facial Trauma
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- D.M.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, 1980
Associate Professor of Surgery (Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)
Weill Cornell Medical College
Associate Attending Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Associate Professor of Medical Ethics in Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Dr. Behrman is a 1976 graduate of Hamilton College. He received his DMD from the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine in June 1980. He was an Intern in the Department of Anesthesiology of Case Western Reserve - University Hospitals of Cleveland from July 1980 - June 1981, and then completed an oral and maxillofacial surgery residency at The New York Hospital from July 1981 - June 1984. He has been a full-time academic oral and maxillofacial surgeon at The New York Hospital - Cornell Medical Center since July, 1984, becoming Division Chief in 1996. He was Certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in March 1986. He has consistently been promoted at Cornell University from the Instructor level in 1984 to Assistant Professor in 1987 and to Associate Professor in 1993.
Dr. Behrman plays a key leadership role in surgical education, serving as Program Director for the Advanced Education Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery since 1995. He also is responsible for supervising the oral and maxillofacial surgery resident rotation/coverage for New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, and was co-founder in 1989 of the Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Surgery team.
Dr. Behrman is currently serving as President of the New York State Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, and is a current Trustee and Delegate of this prestigious society. Dr. Behrman is an active member in many professional societies including the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons; the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery; the American Dental Association; the New York State Dental Association; the New York Country Dental Society, and the Academy of Osseointegration.
Dr. Behrman is widely published and has, in conjunction with the Department of Biomechanics of the Hospital for Special Surgery, developed an innovative temporomandibular joint prosthetic replacement system. Ten prostheses were placed in six patients, and follow-up of over 10 years demonstrated the viability of this system.